Cleaning up brass SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently picked up an old reg setup from ebay. I didn't realize that the gauges are metric so I thought I'd clean them up and put them back out on ebay. After a little work I've gotten the (brass) SPG off the hose and the spool out. There is lots of corrosion.

How do I go about cleaning this thing up ? I think I remember hearing that the inside shouldn't get wet. So can I soak the spool in acidic bath, replace o-rings, soak threads of gauge in bath then put it back on hose and submerge the gauge in the bath ? The worst crufe is along the perimeter of the plastic face.

Thanks.

A can of Brass-O, an old diaper and a toothbrush.

Inspection will be a 0500 hours!!!

PS . . . a Dremel tool with a little buffing wheel will help considerably

the K

I wasn't so much interested in getting the brass shinning as I was getting all the corrosion off the thing, and what I can (and can't) do.

Detergent & hot water to remove the lub/grease. Then acid bath (vin/water) for the spool & ends. Get as little water up into the guage as possible. SW is the real problem. FW is not a big problem. There is a curved metal tube inside the SPG that straightens a bit in response to pressure, moving the indicator. Corrosion and erosion of that tube both will throw off accuracy. Q-tips and toothpicks should remove stuff as you get it loose. (Careful not to leave cotton fibers on sealing surfaces.) Get the worst off, a couple new -003 and a good lub job and it should be ready to go.

awap:
... and a good lub job and it should be ready to go.

I should have paid more attention during the hour long intro to being a service tech I got during my DM training :) The the o-rings AND the spool get lubed ?

Do you think the same grease I use on my camera o-rings is ok ?

Christolub preferably. I usually hit it pretty hard hoping it will also hold down the corrosion.

lhpdiver:
I recently picked up an old reg setup from ebay. I didn't realize that the gauges are metric so I thought I'd clean them up and put them back out on ebay. After a little work I've gotten the (brass) SPG off the hose and the spool out. There is lots of corrosion.

How do I go about cleaning this thing up ? I think I remember hearing that the inside shouldn't get wet. So can I soak the spool in acidic bath, replace o-rings, soak threads of gauge in bath then put it back on hose and submerge the gauge in the bath ? The worst crufe is along the perimeter of the plastic face.

Thanks.

mixture of 50/50 detergent and vinegar and let it soak for an hour or so and scrub with an old tooth brush.

STUEY2:
mixture of 50/50 detergent and vinegar and let it soak for an hour or so and scrub with an old tooth brush.

that sounds like a neat trick, the vinegar will work wonders. you can try polident as well, denture cleaners, works wonders

Spoon:
that sounds like a neat trick, the vinegar will work wonders. you can try polident as well, denture cleaners, works wonders

We use that mix to clean regulators and it brings them up like new

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom