Cleaning the DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I seem to have a little funk in my Halcyon DSMB. I soak it after each dive but Im not sure if its mold or a little bit of seaweed but I cant get it to wash out.

Other then soaking in fresh water... ideas?

Someone mentioned pine sol mixed in water.. but.. Im not so sure.

I just make sure the smb is rinsed thoroughly after every trip and DRIED before storing it. No difference from my wing.

I just make sure the smb is rinsed thoroughly after every trip and DRIED before storing it. No difference from my wing.

That has been my approach too. thanks

if it's on the inside, it's probably not going to ever come out unless you can reach in there and scrub it. If it's a baffle you probably can, and if not you MAY be able to get it by reaching through the dump valve. Either way, after you soak and rinse it, make sure you inflate it fully to dry and only roll it up once the inside and outside are both dry.

I was going to pose a similar question.
How do you rinse? Even though it's not actually used on my dives, I have been unrolling mine and rinsing both inside and out, especially since it the open bottom type even though I suck all the air out and roll it up pretty tightly. This takes up some time and I have been toying with the idea of just soaking it still rolled up, but then I might not find out that this method isn't sufficient until I need it underwater and it fails. With my current rinse technique, I inflate it at the end and leave it for a while to get the remaining water from inside.
I guess I answered my own question...

Yep tried reaching though dump valve but no dice. I inflate and let it dry before putting it away. Think I will try that BC cleaner I have in case its a little mold.

They are the closed circuit, power inflate or oral inflate type

I use self sealed smb.
After rinsing with fresh water, I will inflate it with hair drier as much as possible and let it stand up overnight. Have to repeat the same process couple of times. Store it loosely.
Always inflate the smb before the trip to make sure nothing stick together!!

my smb's are tightly rolled up on my BC and bound with elastic strips. They get dunked and soaked for a few minutes with the BC, but I NEVER, EVER,unroll them to dry them out or rinse the inside. They all wear out from age and excessive use and abrasion. I don't see that all this care (described above) is worth the trouble. Same for cheap lift bags.

I use it every time in my ow tec dive.
Have to look after every bit of my equipment.

They get dunked and soaked for a few minutes with the BC, but I NEVER, EVER,unroll them to dry them out or rinse the inside.

I think most of us that are taking extra care of our DSMBs have already deployed them before getting on the boat or the walking up the shore. Since it’s already out and inflated, it’s not much bother to rinse it, drain it, inflate it and let it dry along with all the other kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom