Cleaning/sanitizing/disinfecting your gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using 1/4 cup household bleach in 5 gal (imperial) water for sanitizing since my brewing days (I hated the sulphur based sanitizers) and kept using it for my scuba gear. I have gear from 2003 that is still in excellent shape, and rinsing the inside of wings now and then keeps them clean.

I do use virkon on my rebreather counterlungs and hoses when needed, but usually the dilute bleach does the trick just fine.

Another quaternary amine, with isopropanol and perfumes. Also has something seems kinda harsh, isotridecanolethoxylate

Classification of the product
Acute Tox. 4 (oral) Acute toxicity
Eye Dam./Irrit. 1 Serious eye damage/eye irritation
Aquatic Acute 3 Hazardous to the aquatic environment - acute

that"s why you have to respect % and rinse after the disinfection bath

that"s why you have to respect % and rinse after the disinfection bath
Or pick something milder, depending on need and preference. How did the S&R team come to choose that agent?

Or pick something milder, depending on need and preference. How did the S&R team come to choose that agent?

Choosed by our labo department, because already used in NBC gear & masks disinfection, we used this during several years. As it seems, as you said, that it is quite strong, we noticed (after long use) some slight consequences on the masks material (draeger), but not sure that it isn't due to petroleum compounds and derivatives, water pollution, so that we changed to another product, milder.
Notice that it is milder, but the product consumption has augmented and some of us have the feeling that disinfection is not perfect... (running nose many times, what did not happen before... but is it really that, or the cold, or because I'm older ?? :wink:) .

Nothing's perfect.

Back
Top Bottom