Cleaning BC Bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aside from rinsing and draining your BC bladder with water do you use anything else such as using a cleaning or sanitizing solution?

I was thinking a steramine rinse might not be a bad idea. Thots?

I use BC Cleaner originally made by McNett, now Revivex. A little down the inflator hose before I hook the hose up to it. I’ll also use some Salt Off followed by freshwater if diving in saltwater.

Aside from rinsing and draining your BC bladder with water do you use anything else such as using a cleaning or sanitizing solution?

I was thinking a steramine rinse might not be a bad idea. Thots?

every 50 dives or so I'll bring distilled water to about 40 celcius and let it marinate for a while before washing it out.
Distilled water because our tap water is relatively hard.

Steramine

Reactions: OTF
Here is DAN's recommendation for sterilizing gear including BCD's which supports using Steramine or a diluted bleach solution: DAN’s Quick Guide to Properly Disinfecting Dive Gear

Camelback drinking bladders are similar to BCD bladders and can be cleansed using diluted bleach or commercial cleaning tablets.

I've never used a disinfectant in a BCD bladder. Fresh water is all I've used. My current Halcyon wing is 16 years old with about 2500 dives on it. I rinse inside about once a month.

I have never used anything but a good fresh water rinse of the BC bladder and have never had issues. I remove the inflator hose, fill with water, shake around a bit, and drain. I am too impatient to fill from the LPI, but it is easily done with that method also. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom