Cleaning a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use diluted vinegar to wash all my gear. then wash/rinse in mild soapy water. I am always diving in crappy lake water so i don't want my gear smelling like fish poop:no:

The vinegar solution i will also use to clean the inside of my bc. Then rinse throughly. The Zeagle does make it easy to clean the inside of your bc

I learned this from my Emergency Responce Team(PSD). The team has had their bc's for about 5-6 yrs and still in tip top shape

I would have never thought of Listerine. Cleaver... I don't know if it actually works, but cleaver.

I just use a capfull of any cheap mouthwash, it does work.

BTW, toss a little in your wetsuit boots if they start to get a little skanky.

i did clean with water mixed a cap of Dettol...and release the water thru both inflator and deflator...to make sure it not stuck with salt...i use it for 4 years now.

I just dis-assemble the dump valves and fill up the bladder from the tub spout.
Super easy...why isn't anyone else doing this?

I would have never thought of Listerine. Cleaver... I don't know if it actually works, but cleaver.

I disagree, it's not clever any more. When Listerine came in only one flavour and colour, (yellow and mostly alcohol as a germ-killer) one might know what one was putting into the poly-whatever bladder that is a BCD. Now Listerine and other "cheap mouthwashes" come in multiple colours and have various additives none of which I understand in terms of their reactions to the plastic and poly-whatever that makes up the BCD, or what one would be coating things with (*whiter than white!*).

Lots of fresh water as a rinse (especially to get rid of the salt crystals from salt water), and soap/water to wash out the bacterium. Hang upside down mostly inflated, let the water drain into the inflator hose, dump periodically and re-inflate. Vinegar is not a reliable antibacterial or antifungal.

*Edit* If you're doing ice diving, or diving in water that's *really* cold (32-33 F) or if the air temp is below freezing, it's important to make sure the inflator mechanism is stored above the BCD so that the water that might be in the inflator mechanism drains back into the bladder, otherwise the whole inflator just freezes solid. Not fun.

11 years and no problems.

I disagree, it's not clever any more. When Listerine came in only one flavour and colour, (yellow and mostly alcohol as a germ-killer) one might know what one was putting into the poly-whatever bladder that is a BCD.

Polyether polyurethane films have poor resistance to concentrated ethanol.

Tobin

Polyether polyurethane films have poor resistance to concentrated ethanol.

Tobin

Thanks, Tobin, I knew you'd know what they're made of.

I'm not sure that ethanol has any effect on mold either, which also lives in BCs.

Back
Top Bottom