claustrophobic new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See if you can arrainge for some pool time...
Lay in the shallow end with your eyes closed...
Prone or supine is up to you but get good and comfy...
Relax for awhile and listen to the sounds of your breathing...
Don't relax so much that you go to sleep but a little snooze is OK...

Burning a tank like this should get you over the jitters :D

Call it what you will, it makes for an uneasy first attempt at scuba. Yes, I do speak from experience as I recall very vividly my first descent into the murky and cool Monterey waters -- vis was around 5 feet that day as well, and a 53 degree water temp didn't add anything pleasurable to the experience!

My very first attempt to descend was aborted by a panic/anxiety attack as I do suffer from claustrophobia. I don't know how I can explain that the water closing over my head and the vis contributed to the sense of being closed in, and I started rapid breathing and just signaled to my DM that something was wrong and back up we went.

We talked on the surface while the two others in my class stayed down with the instructor and did their skills. I tried again, and although I got a bit deeper, it wasn't the 20 feet to the bottom I needed -- I found out after we surfaced this time that I was only 4 feet from the bottom. No matter, I couldn't see, I was a bit anxious, but I was rather determined to make it.

My third attempt was with the instructor who had finished with the other two, who swam over to me, and said very calmly, "Would you like to try one more time, just you and I?"

The rest is history. I had an instructor who understood my anxiety and he went slowly and reassured me at every step of the way. As my bottom time has increased, my skills have improved and my anxiety has lessened with every dive.

Last year I did my first-ever 120 foot dive while diving around the magical isle of Saba. I told the DM (FYI: all the dives we did on Saba were guided) that would be the deepest -- my AOW deep dive was 85 feet off Catalina Island, CA. He descended with me, slowly, as did my husband who is my buddy and also knows my anxiety, and when we reached the "bottom" he kissed my hand, congratulated me and off we went. My husband was by my side the entire dive, and continued to give me the "OK" sign as he was proud of me, too. (Okay, I was probably narced, too, but it was such an incredible high considering where I had started only 4 short years ago!). It also helped that at 120 feet I could still roll over and look up and see the boat and the sky "all the way up there."

I learned to relax by breathing in slowly and counting 1-2-3-4 and then breathing out counting 1-2-3-4 (or if I was breathing to 5 or whatever). I learned to check all my gear before getting in the water -- and then doing a drill of shutting my eyes and touching everything (dump valve, inflator, checking my reg and octo, removing my mask and putting it back on, checking my weight belt and integrated pouches). In short, I have a routine that assists in raising my comfort level.

The more you know, the more relaxed you are. Diving is supposed to be fun BUT it can take some getting used to. I still get a little racing heartbeat when I first start to descend if I haven't been scuba in awhile. But the thrill of what awaits me underneath the sea is priceless.

Again, I suggest you talk to your instructor and as others advised, get comfortable being in the water. Did you ever play "Marco Polo" in the pool as a kid? Try it again and reassure yourself that you are okay. Work on it and I think you will be able to work through it.

May you too, find the beauty under the sea ...

Margaret

When you feel claustrophobic, panic starts to set in. It is important to identify panic and stop whatever you're doing, breath deeply (when your heart beats quickly, you consume more oxygen), concentrate in calming yourself down and slowing your heart rate, hum a familiar song and think about what to do next.
Forget the cleaning and scrubbing of mask and go straight to defogger solutions. If it still fogs, you're exhaling too often from your nose.

Hey we all went to the process, but through sufficient bottom times we managed to build confidence and skill. I felt claustrophobic and still have my mask fog once in a while.

As everyone mentioned, don't let peer pressure ruin your dive and confidence. You're out to have fun!:)

My two young (12 yo) daughters and I recently certified and did our cert dives in a rather murky cold water quarry. We all had some anxiety, for all of the reasons that have been mentioned in earlier posts, but with perseverence and a terrific instructor (or 3) we were able to complete all of the skills. There was no time limit; we simply had to work through all of the requirements during the four dives.

Regarding mask fogging, this was more of a problem in the confined water sessions in the pool than it was either in the quarry or in the warm Caribbean sea where we went two weeks ago. A good friend recommended 500PSI gel as a defogger. IT WORKS!!! and much better than the sprays or drops we tried before. A little bit rubbed on and washed off immediately before putting on our masks prevented all fogging throughout all of our dives each day. We got it from LeisurePro on-line.

Take your time, relax, concentrate on slow and deep breathing, and realize that it's not a contest, it's just a new experience. Good luck!!

Yes, I had that problem initially as well. One of the ways I overcame that was to use a mask with a nose purge valve. That way, I could breath out through my nose without too much effort. The problem that you need to be aware of, though, is free-flowing through your nose. It's easy to get into this habit and not even know you are doing it.

BTW, I OW'd in the quarry as well -- it was two years ago. Lately, though, the quarry (if you are talking about Dutch Springs) has been beautiful and aside from divers kicking up the mud, has had visibility up to about 25 feet.

Also, I swear by Sea Gold for defogging my mask.

Enjoy and remember to have fun!!!

:)

:) :)

I do not think I could have made it through this past weekend without receiving everytone's advice!
It was truley a godsend!!! It meant so much to me to hear that others have experienced the same
feelings that I have had! Hearing everyones personal stories and tricks on how to eal with panic problems
really helped me get through this weekend. I did get pass the OW and am now a certified diver! It was REALLY hard for me at that guarry. It was warm and the visibility was good, about 20 feet. So I hear that was unusual.
I am glad that was the case this past weekend for me! I still paniced a bit and had some mask leaking
and fogging problems which only added to my stress. Apparently part of my fogging problems are coming
from my own stress of going down. I get a bit paniced and my face heats up and my breathing escalates
and comes out of my nose a bit and fogs my mask. On Sunday I was having a lot of leaking problems a nd
when I was going down the mask filled up everytime I was undr about only 6 or 7 feetand I couldn't see
and started to panic. The water would also go up into my nose. I kept coming up to deal with my mask and
my instuctor just basically had a private lesson with me that morning and then joined the class later. The first day I had a
a bad experience while doing the "share air with your buddy and ascend". My buddies alternate air source
wasn't very good andI was breathing mostly water in and then half way to the top my mask filled with all water and
started going up my nose. So now I had water going in my nose and breathing it all in my mouth. I though I was
going to drown! I made it to the top without leaving my buddy. When I got to the surface I threw up all of the water
I had been breathing in and it startled my instructor. He followed my buddy and I all the way and he said that he had no idea that I had all thoise troubles and was in any sort of panic at all until he saw me get sick on the surface.
He said I handled it all very well. He also said at the end of the last day that I had been dealing with a lot of mask
problems and internal stress and that I never "dispalyed" the usual diver in distress by shooting to the top
or bagging out or screaming. I practiced more skills than others in the class because I had so many.extra problems.
(my weight belt fell off andhad to replace it underwater all the time).

Anyway, I treasure everyones advice. To be honest though I am still not sure if scuba diving is for me. I still have
a hard time with the breathing sounds and mask underwater. I am still a little uneasy about it. Hopefully this will
pass over time. As everyone posted...it just takes time and practice. I think it will take me a long time to do what one of you did...go down to 120 feet with her husband! What an accomplishment! I am going to the Caribean this Friday and will be testing my skill scuba diving with my boyfriend. I know it should be a better experience since it should be clear
and warm with lots to see. Not the dark blackness of a quarry! I hope I can focus on the fish and everything and that will take my mind off the sound of my bubbles and how deep I am. I only went down 36 feet down and that wigged
me out a bit so I hope that I can go deeper there. I am not sureif I will be able to make it and stay under for more that n
a half hour either. It ws REALLY hard for me to stay under for 20 minutes in the quarry! I will do my best!
Thanks again for all of the personal experiences and advice!!!

claustrophobic diver
Thank you all for your advice!

nice one im realy glad for you and congrats on the open water pass even though u had a bad experiance please dont hold that against scuba your following few dives will improve as your confidance grows so will your enjoyment

but please do yourself a favor and go down to your local dive shop ask one of the helpers that you want a mask and spend a couple of hours in there trying evry mask theve got on untill your compleatly compfortable in it

try putting it on without the strap breathing in slightly to create a vacume if it stays on on its own your on the right track

I too am glad you are certified. After I was certified, I asked the instructor if he thought I was ready to dive alone (sans teacher). He said of course, I would not be certified if I was not qualified.

However, I was not 100% confident. So a few days later, my husband and I went back to the quarry (or you could use the pool) and spent one dive just getting used to diving without all the class inspired chaos. It was much more relaxing and enjoyable.

If at all possible try to get in the water one or two more times before you leave for vacation. It made all the difference in the world for me!

Yes, Scuba Barbie, you definitely have the right idea about going back tpo
the quarry and doing a dive without the class. Unfortunitely I haven't been able to
since my boyfriend has been away on business since I have gotten certified. He was
out of town when I was doing the certification this past weekend. We are leaving Friday morning and
won't have time beforehand to do it. So, the big bag open
Caribean sea will be my first chance to do a dive without the comfort of an instructor.
My boyfriend and I are going to do a few shore dives right in front of the hotel. There are reefs right
in front you can swim to. I want to do this first to ease into it and not have the pressure of
a lot of people on a boat hurrying to get in. Plus, I am still very nervous about the depth thing
and I feel I can control my how far I go down if I start from the shore. I know I sound so wimpy
about it all but I don't want to get on a boat and go 60 feet down first thing and freak out
and ruin my time as well as my boyfriends time. I will hopefully make it to the boat by the end.
Can't wait to see all what is in store for me underwater there!!

Thanks again everyone for the advice and encouragement!!

Just wanted to say..have a great time in the tropics. Relax, enjoy the scenery and remember your skills. You can do this....remember have fun!! Plan your dive and stick to it...if you feel comfortable diving in 15ft..dive in 15ft..10 ft do 10ft!

Its all about the experience....if your happy and comfortable at 10ft..then stay there! Girl, its all good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom