Clams of mussels at Clear Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're all over Lake Travis.
Anywhere in particular? I have seen lots of empty shells but never a live one. Thanks! I love finding new critters!

Anywhere in particular? I have seen lots of empty shells but never a live one. Thanks! I love finding new critters!

All the ones I've ever found at CSSP were empty. I've yet to find a live one.

The live clams are either tucked down into the crevass of rocks or buried at least half way, sometimes more, in the mud. There are a couple of sloped bank areas by the SW docks where they are numerous and the pattern of all the open siphons is how I can tell where they are.

The clams normally lie buried on their side, with just the tips of their siphons protruding. Very very difficult to spot. The animals are quite sensitive to vibrations and will retract the siphons into the shell if they "feel" something coming their way... like a great blundering scuba diver (e.g. myself).

Corbicula will last in a freshwater aquarium for a little while. After a few weeks mine tend to croak off, probably because the water isn't "nutritious" enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom