Circus at Tuffy's ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AWMIII

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ambergris Today | Stories | Dive Boat Capsizes at

Tragedy and misfortune was averted with the quick action of a boat captain, his diving crew and dive shop personnel as they immediately rescued several tourist divers who happened to find themselves wading in open waters outside the reef after their dive boat capsized.
Rough sea conditions were the cause of a capsized boat just outside the reef in the popular dive spot known as the Tuffy Channel (break on the reef) that is located right across downtown San Pedro. The incident occurred close to midday, today, June 7, 2012.
Ambergris Today was first on the scene thanks to Armando Gonzalez of Armando’s Water Taxi, and caught a Seaduced boat being pulled inside the reef by an Aqua Dives Boat.
According to a press release from Ramon’s Village, at 11:00a.m. this morning a chartered boat by Ramon’s Village Dive Shop left the pier along with two other boats to conduct a dive trip. The boat was captained by Mr. Will Lima with a crew of two and 8 divers on board. At approximately 11:15a.m. immediately after crossing the San Pedro Cut, the side of the boat was hit by two back to back waves capsizing the vessel.
Ramon’s Village Dive Shop Manager and his assistant witnessed the event and immediately called one of the boats (that had already made the crossing) to assist along with the third boat that was picking up divers from other piers. At the same time two staff members on the pier got in their boats and hurried to assist. By 11:18a.m. four boats were at the accident site engaged in the rescue operation.
By 11:35a.m. all eight divers, captain and crew were safely back on the pier and a doctor was called to check up on them. The captain and a passenger were the only two who sustained minor injuries.
The Port Authority was on site conducting preliminary investigations. Members of Ramon’s Dive Shop and the dive community assisted in bringing the boat back to the dock.
“The Management and Staff of Ramon’s Village Dive Shop would like to thank all those that helped in a successful rescue operation,” stated the press release.

Thank God everyone was okay. Tuffy's is the site of my hands down worst boat ride ever. I got the wind knocked out of me one time while going out in marginal conditions,

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind betting a fair amount of personal property was lost, but thank goodness no-one was hurt. I have twice (in ten years) been in boats that have overturned at that cut.

I wouldn't mind betting a fair amount of personal property was lost, but thank goodness no-one was hurt. I have twice (in ten years) been in boats that have overturned at that cut.

I heard that most of the shops had cancelled diving that day due to conditions at the cuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom