Cigars & Liveaboard?

1 cigar ok at the end of a dive day on a liveaboard?

• Yes

Votes: 46 46.5%
  • No

Votes: 53 53.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn’t witness or smell anyone smoking on the Indonesia or Red Sea liveaboards I took, but as I said above, smokers were banished to the bow, where the rest of us were not encouraged to venture.

I'm not a smoker, but judging by some of the overly pious anti-smoking viewpoints expressed here I'd much prefer to join the cool kids in the smoking area.

If you banned smoking on a Red Sea liveaboard, you'd better enjoy diving in the harbour cos without a skipper and crew you won't be going anywhere else for a week!
This post, and those by @WarrenZ, have tried to move this thread from cigar smoking to smoking in general. The thread is about cigar smoking on a liveaboard, not smoking in general or other habits, on liveaboards or other places. The problem with cigar smoking is the smell of the smoke and the lingering stench in the area where it was smoked and on the smoker afterwards. Cigarette smoking is considerably less of a problem. Having a smoking area on the bow can be a problem in itself; the bow is typically upwind if the boat is moored.

If you're smoking outside, why wouldn't it be ok? I guess no liveaboard allows smoking inside anyway...

As previously pointed out, this thread was specifically about smoking cigars on a liveaboard. Though I would prefer no cigarette smoking, I fully realize that the practice is still very common, probably more so outside the US, and that a specific smoking area largely mitigates the intrusion for nonsmokers. Cigars are a whole different story, I would hope there was not cigar smoking on any liveaboard I was on. I have only been on 4 Aggressor boats to date, Red Sea I, Cocos, Galapagos, and Cayman. Each has had a smoking section on the stern sun deck only. I'm unaware of anyone smoking a cigar, thankfully.

Boy, I sure hope that Martin is not going to cut me to pieces with his knife edge sarcasm :)

If you're smoking outside, why wouldn't it be ok? I guess no liveaboard allows smoking inside anyway...

I believe the concern about smokers on the bow is that the wind may blow smoke down the length of the boat. I would like to believe that considerate smokers would be mindful of the wind direction. I suspect the crew often is.

The down wind part of the boat may not be the stern. If the boat is anchored where there is a current as is the case in many channels and places, the stern will be down current. The breeze direction may not be the same as the current. Some times is. Sometimes not. Just noting.

Hey! There's a small business opportunity: set up a dive and cigar and port and rum and foodie live aboard tour. My surface interval BBQ lunch on a Lapu Lapu dive (Cebu, Philippines).
GJS

Port, rum, and foodie stuff--I'm in! Of course, if you'll be smoking cigars, I'll be eating durian.

All this thread has done is paint a very clear picture of who I would rather be with on a liveaboard, smell or no smell.
The ability to push past inconveniences is a must have attribute for enjoying trips to remote locations. If the worst thing that happens to you on your foray into the wilderness is some cigar stench, I say you have had an excellent trip.
Some people in this thread have a holier than thou attitude, if their keyboard personality was anything like their real life persona they would be a real treat to be with on a boat for a week or more.

All this thread has done is paint a very clear picture of who I would rather be with on a liveaboard, smell or no smell.
The ability to push past inconveniences is a must have attribute for enjoying trips to remote locations. If the worst thing that happens to you on your foray into the wilderness is some cigar stench, I say you have had an excellent trip.
Some people in this thread have a holier than thou attitude, if their keyboard personality was anything like their real life persona they would be a real treat to be with on a boat for a week or more.
We all have different standards, yours just happen to be different than mine. Good diving.

We all have different standards, yours just happen to be different than mine. Good diving.

You call it standards, I call it perspective. I am not going to let a bad smell detract from my expensive holiday I worked hard to afford/earn leave to take.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom