Chuuk Lagoon Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't been on either boat, but did a bunch of reading/research earlier this year prior to booking our trip on the Odyssey.

One big factor for us is that the Thorfinn basically is anchored and doesn't move. All diving is done from little boats which take you to the wrecks. This is both good and bad, the good being that there are fewer divers on the wrecks and that groups can be divided more by ability. Bad being the boat rides and most importantly for us, that dives are pretty much "scheduled". We prefer to dive from the mothership on a liveaboard, giving us the dive freedom to dive as much or as little as we want, and when we want.

The reviews of the Odyssey are consistently better than the Thorfinn, and basically it just seemed to be a better match for us. It does seem that if you're a serious technical diver though that the Thorfinn gets the nod from that crowd.

Undercurrent has quite a few reviews of both in their chapbooks and on their website, so reading those is a great idea to help you make up your mind. As a caution, be aware that often Odyssey has to be booked 2 years in advance. We've already booked our August, 2008 trip with them as they only had 2 weeks available in the summer when we could go.

Was on the Odyseey for a week in October 2003, couldn't fault it. Ten divers aboard.

Same week the Aggressor had six divers, the Thorfinn had ONE.

You will enjoy the Odyssey, one of the best liveaboards I've seen.

Seadeuce

Ditto on the Odyssey. Was there 4 years ago and going back in November. have been on a lot of liveaboards and it, by far, is the best. The Thorfin is a floating hotel.

Jack

DiveMaven:
The reviews of the Odyssey are consistently better than the Thorfinn, and basically it just seemed to be a better match for us. It does seem that if you're a serious technical diver though that the Thorfinn gets the nod from that crowd.

If you are looking to dive any many different wrecks as possible the Thorfinn is the way to go.
They have three different boats that can take you many different sites.

When I was on the thorfinn, I saw 25 different wreck sites in a week!!!

The Thorfinn does not move ... you are taken to the sites by the smaller, faster craft.

If you dont care about that and are looking for more cushy type of trip the Odyssey is a great choice.

bob

The Odyssey was the best liveaboard I've been on. They moor at the wrecksites, free nitrox (recommended), great food, and the crew will jump in the water with you anytime. Very comfortable cabins.

We did the Odyssey this spring good fun, well worth the monies. Look at some other threads in the Pacific catagory as there are several trip reports. The Thorfin was around as well. I would not say that the Thorfin does not move but appeared to me that it had select anchorages that it used that were central to a particular set of wrecks. From there their tenders went out. But that was just what I observed.

Hello,

Consider this information dated as I was on the Thorfinn over 10 years ago. Additionally, I can not speak for the Odyssey.

While it is true that the Thorfinn is stationary, you get lots of diving in- I filled up a dive log during the week I was aboard and only visited the same wrecks when I wanted to. The shuttle boats take only 6 divers and a guide. The captain and crew know the wrecks very well and with the exception of a briefing at the first part of the week leave your dive profile in your hands.

I found it helpful and contributed to a more interesting dive to read up on each wreck prior to the sortie and take down a slate with a sketch.

Good luck with whoever you dive with….I look forward to seeing your report.

couv

Fort Collins Bob:
If you are looking to dive any many different wrecks as possible the Thorfinn is the way to go.
They have three different boats that can take you many different sites.

When I was on the thorfinn, I saw 25 different wreck sites in a week!!!

The Thorfinn does not move ... you are taken to the sites by the smaller, faster craft.

If you dont care about that and are looking for more cushy type of trip the Odyssey is a great choice.

bob

I wuldn't say the Thorfinn does not move, more correctly it doesnt move often.. How much it moves realy depends on the number of divers on board and the wrecks that wish to be dove.. The ship is usually moved to cover a specific area so that the rides on the skiffs are as short as possible.. The new 30ft launches are incredible and can do about 40 knotts. They have full electronics and fresh water showers..

I have done multiple trips on the Thorfinn, and plan on going back again.. You get more freedom on the thorfinn than the odyssey and the guides are much more experienced (the 2 most senior guides have been with lance over 15 years)
f you are on a mixed boat you definatey appreciate the thorfin in that the divers can be broken up into skill levels...

Also the cabins on the thorfinn are quite large especially the rooms on the bottom deck with private showers and head..

I feel so strongly aout the crew and the experience that I have turned down trips on the odyssey that I could have gotten on dirt cheap, and chose to spend considerable amouts of money with the thorfin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom