Chuuk Lagoon - Ghost Fleet - Is land based diving possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you see the i-169 Shinohara Maru, she is “my” Silent Warrior, I watched in 1973 as her hatches were welded closed, now I’m told the Ocean has opened other huge holes in her after 50 years.

Wreck penetration is possible on the I-169.

- brett

I have done both, liveaboard and land based. Both have their pluses and minuses but also both are great. Most of the dive sites are very close to the land based operations and hence one can argue that land based can do everything a liveaboard can do. On the other hand, liveaboards stay in one sport and ferry their divers on their dingies to the various dive sites and hence one can argue that a land based operation is just the same and less expensive.

Not true for the Odyssey which travels around the lagoon moors at the wrecks. Because of that the diving is much more relaxed.

For the OP you can certainly do land based. Blue Lagoon is nice place to hang out as the ground are actually the site of a Japanese seaplane base. The Truk Stop Hotel is other option which "in" town.

I have stayed at Blue Lagoon while transferring to/from the Odyssey. My suggestion is to do a combination of both. There are dive site that the Odyssey will not visit whereas the land based will. And not all are wrecks. The shark cleaning station is great. Play a little Rose Royce and Carwash beforehand then go down and watch the shark wash.

A note for you history buffs and long term planners. Operation Hailstone ran from 17–18 February 1944, which is the cause of the bulk of these ships becoming wrecks. The 80 year anniversary is less than 2 years away and I suspect there will be more divers that want a spot than will be available.

Like a complete idiot, I didn't think of it until it was too late and missed the 70th anniversary by a week.
:facepalm:

1. Everything is expensive particularly the diving and flight.
2. There are far too many wrecks to dive for a wk or even a month.
San Francisco Maru will need several dives just to see it properly because of the depth(50m+).

So make it worthwhile and dive as much as you can afford it.
Enjoy.

Wreck penetration is possible on the I-169.

- brett

It sure is…

Speaking to the OPs question I much prefer Truk land based but that’s mainly due to diving style on CCR. My normal routine is one 3-4 hour long dive in the morning then back to the resort for lunch and a 2-3 hour dive in the afternoon.

You can’t do this on the liveaboard. It’s also nice being able to wake up and decide at breakfast or discuss over dinner what wreck you want to dive on the next dive.

Attachments

• F3E86F09-6117-4163-B204-804E9F7FBCC4.jpeg
    F3E86F09-6117-4163-B204-804E9F7FBCC4.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 59
The Blue Lagoon website seems to be down. Are they still in business?

FSM has been closed for what seems like forever.. I'm booked on the Odyssey next year, but am starting to wonder if it's going to be around by then.

At the moment, I believe they are still closed to tourism. Have not lifted the Covid restrictions yet. I want to say the first of August is when they open. So I can believe the website is down until they are actually open.

At the moment, I believe they are still closed to tourism. Have not lifted the Covid restrictions yet. I want to say the first of August is when they open. So I can believe the website is down until they are actually open.
This is accurate as far as I know. August reopening is what I have been told is planned, but who knows..

Good question, Internet is a vey iffy thing there and FSM locked down tight for Covid, no idea of the conditions for travel now days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom