Christo-Lube vs Silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Is Scubapro's statement in the manuals saying to use only Christo-Lube instead of silicone valid or is it just a name brand buy my product issue?? And if it is legitimate... where can I purchase it??
Thanks

CristoLube is a better lube all the way around and if you expect to ever dive nitrox or get into tech diving it is better to switch sooner than later.

I still have silicone lube here but I use it in electronic toys and shop air. When I run out I will only keep cristolube around.

I don't use anything but ChristoLube on any of the regs that I service. It offers superior lubrication, and is oxygen safe. Need I say more? Sure, it's expensive, but a 2 ounce tube will last most divers a lifetime.

Greg Barlow
Former Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine Science Editor

Since I didn't see it mentioned....

CrystoLube is an oxygen compatable lubricant, Krytox is another. Silicon lubricant, however is not. The point of it is not to point out a brand; but rather point out the recommendation for an o2 compatable lubricant.

Trident also sells Christo-lube now in both the 111 and 129 flavors.

The silicone lubes traditionally used were all purpose food safe lubes basically borrowed from other applications, that worked OK but weren't particularly great lubes. The O2 safe ones are considerably more sophisticated - Scubapro says you can actually see the difference when you bench test a reg. Haven't checked recently, but I know Scubapro shops were carrying SP branded Christolube last time I checked so that's probably a good place to start if you want to buy locally, along with any LDSs dealing with techies.

The question of whether to use Christolube or just any O2 compatible lube is harder to answer - they are similar, but just about every reg manufacturer that specifies a O2 lube specifies Christolube so one assumes there must be a reason; since the O2 lubes are comparably priced I tend to go with Christolube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom