Christmas warm water trip, need some help/advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

October November the temperatures start to drop in Florida. It really depends on the cold fronts that come down and when they start. Typically in a el nino year, which I do believe we are in, we seem to have colder winters that start sooner in the season. January Februarys March are the two coldest months of the year, you may get highs in the 85 on a warm day but the water temp will still be relatively cold in these months. Dry Tortugas will be about the same as the Keys weather wise, just much better diving.
Never been to Coz but it makes sense with the northerly winds that time of year i could see cold and rough.
Never been to the Bahamas either but I hear there weather generally mimics Florida's.
Grand Cayman would be your best bet of the ones you mentioned in my opinion for warm weather, not to sure about a cruise for a diving trip???
Try San Andres Island(ADZ) in the western Caribbean, I just purchased a flight out of Miami for $388 for my March trip. Not sure if they have the same rates for January but its worth a try. I got my ticket through Copaair.com
Hope this helps
Ciao
Tad

Last edited:
Right now you will be hard pressed to find diving cheaper than Utila, the Bay Islands, Honduras. Consider you can get fun dives 10 for $250.US and the water temp will be 80+ degrees.
You can bunk up at many of the dive operations for as little as $3.00 a night and beer is $1 a bottle.

Right now you will be hard pressed to find diving cheaper than Utila, the Bay Islands, Honduras. Consider you can get fun dives 10 for $250.US and the water temp will be 80+ degrees.
You can bunk up at many of the dive operations for as little as $3.00 a night and beer is $1 a bottle.

ramehrer - water 80+ degrees during Christmas week, I doubt that.

ramehrer - water 80+ degrees during Christmas week, I doubt that.

San Andres Island
$200 for 10 dive on San Andres ....in my 10 years of traveling there I have never seen the surface temp below 80 including Jan and Feb......can't beat the 3.00/night on Utila, cheapest I have seen is $30.00.....beer is still $1

Water temps in keys in Dec can vary and will most likely to be 65 to 75
I would suggest trying to get to the Dry Tortugas the diving there is superior to anywhere else in the keys. Ultimate getaway runs a 4 day live a board out of Fort Myers to the Dry Tortugas.

Well, that may be. But I was hoping for a few more comforts than a bunk, & neither the 14yr old or I drink beer! :D

Also, what we save in dive costs we make up for in airfare! Living in the midwest, there aren't many good priced flights to exotic places...:depressed:

In Cozumel, at that time of year, you can expect lows in the mid 70's with highs, usually about 82-84. I have dove there at that time & not used a wetsuit, but a 3mm would be more ideal. Cozumel, is usually about the cheapest destination , but over the holidays, rooms/food, etc. will be a little more expensive. Still very affordable, though. You can explain your lack of experience to the dive shop & they may be accomodating. The first dive is going to be a wall dive, but most novice divers can glide along the top ledge of the walls, over coral, & never get below 60ft.
Another recommendation is Cancun, Isle Mujeres diving. I have seen more fish & wildlife there than I ever have in Cozumel . Most all dives max out at 60ft or less, little to no current, & are ideal for those who lack experience. Cheap flights/motels, etc. are also a plus. Tourism is off & there are some great deals.

Well, if it where up to me, I would choose the site where It would be difficult going again soon, as the other site may be easier to repeat a trip, make sense???, u never know economy next year and cheaper sites will always be cheaper site.... so go with the big one!

Have you considered going in an entirely different direction? I don't know what holiday flights to Hawaii run from Cincinnatti, but there's a lot of good shore diving on Maui (unless the weather turns sour, and that can happen anywhere in the wintertime). It's shallow and warm, with little to no current, and often only very mild surf (as witnessed by the fact that I have yet to get knocked down getting in and out of the water there). There's a SB member (Shaka Doug) who runs guided shore dives, and if you decided to splurge on a day on a boat, there are good operators who are accustomed to new divers. Lodging and car packages are generally available at reasonable prices.

Just found out we can push the date back and leave January 3rd and come back the 10th. That just saved me a bunch of money on airfare so time for me to go through the whole process again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom