Christmas in Costa Rica - Suggestions (Guanacasta/Arenal)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
We're planning our first trip to Costa Rica from Dec 14th-25th, and intend on spending 8 nights at the Flamingo Marina Resort (just north of Tamarindo) and 3 Nights at Arenal. We're planning on booking our trip today or tomorrow through AquaCenter Diving. Any recommendations for land activities or dive sites to visit in this area of Guanacaste? - or things not to do?
We're also planning on spending 3 nights at Arenal (thinking about waterfall repelling through Pure Trek Canyoning and ATV or horseback riding), so for anyone that's visited this area, suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!)

Fun stuff! Rappelling down a waterfall anyone?

..::pURETREK.COM::..

I did the waterfall rapelling when I was in Arenal - it was fun! The first drop is the biggest and it's pretty scary at first! I think it was 5 waterfalls in total you rapell down. Also did a horseback riding trip to the canopy zip tour around the area -- that was really worth it as well. I think the one in Arenal is the longest one, so it's a good place to do it. I would check out Tabacon hot springs. It's expensive-ish, but it's done really well and the hot waterfall on your back after the waterfall rapelling is very nice :)

Also did a white water rafting trip on the Pacuare river which was really good (that was out of San Jose though) and did an overnight flight trip to Tortuguera on the east coast.

For diving we went with Rich Coast Divers in Playas del Coco for 4 days which was great. Lots of sharks, huge rays, octopus, scorpion fish, and a giant manta at Catalina Island. This was Dec '06, btw.

Aquacenter is great to dive with-the Columbian owner is very accomidating and will help with rides or whatever you need.
The prime dive sites are Catalinas and Muercialago islands.
Whitewater rafting trips are great.
There is a cat rescue center and waterfall near Bagaces
many great parks in the area Guanecaste, Tenorino, etc.

enjoy!

I will have to really give Aqua center a major tip of the hat, they have helped book with the Flamingo marina resort, as well as our Arenal volcano hotels and activities, Aqua center isn't just a dive shop, they really seem to help out much better than a travel agent, and even return phone calls and emails in a prompt manner most the time.

thanks ALL for your tips, waterfall rappelling is a must do, quad riding in the jungle, and of course catalina island. and Aqua center is CHEAP, about $70 for a guided 2 tank dive, and they're only a 15 minute trip to Catalina so they're on of the closest. Score!

I did the waterfall rapelling when I was in Arenal - it was fun! The first drop is the biggest and it's pretty scary at first! I think it was 5 waterfalls in total you rapell down. Also did a horseback riding trip to the canopy zip tour around the area -- that was really worth it as well. I think the one in Arenal is the longest one, so it's a good place to do it. I would check out Tabacon hot springs. It's expensive-ish, but it's done really well and the hot waterfall on your back after the waterfall rapelling is very nice :)

Also did a white water rafting trip on the Pacuare river which was really good (that was out of San Jose though) and did an overnight flight trip to Tortuguera on the east coast.

For diving we went with Rich Coast Divers in Playas del Coco for 4 days which was great. Lots of sharks, huge rays, octopus, scorpion fish, and a giant manta at Catalina Island. This was Dec '06, btw.

I agree on both the canopy zip line tour and Tabacon Hot Springs. My wife and I really enjoyed both of those. Also in the Arenal area, we took a horseback trip down to a natural hot springs along a river. Beautiful area that I'd like to visit again in the near future.

Another vote for Tabacon, rapelling, white water rafting on the Pacuare, and Rich Coast Divers. Another really, really cool thing to do in Arenal is the Venado cave. It's a "dry" cave, but there are a lot of sections that you are in waist to chest deep water. There is some hairy stuff in there, a lot of tight squeezes and stuff like that. There are a ton of bats and you will be covered in guano when you leave, but it was worth it. You may also want to check out the National Geographic Observatory while you are there. You can just go for lunch and walk around the grounds.

In Tamarindo, there is a turtle research station just up the beach at Playa Grande. I think they let toursists help out, but it depends on the time of the year. I would also recommend taking a day trip into Nicaragua. You can get to the border from Tamarindo in a little over an hour, then an hour long cab ride to San Juan del Sol. The sunset at Maderas beach is the most beautiful I've even seen. Have a great trip!

Tabacon is great, but expensive. There is also The Baldi resort, great as well, excellent water pools and springs and alot cheaper. You can book them in town,. The slide is a bit freaky though.
HAve fun

48 hours from now we arrive at Flamingo resort, have 4 days of diving planned, 4x4 jungle tours in toyota landcruisers, zip line canopy tours, then off to Arenal volcana for rappelling down 4-5 waterfalls and caving exploring..........sorry for the boring update. he heh. Me thinks we'll be back in 2008 too.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom