Christmas diving off Victoria/Saltspring I.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveC426913

Registered
Reaction score
I'm making a trip out to BC over the Christmas holidays, and have heard there's great diving there. We are staying in Victoria and on Saltspring Island. It'd be cool to do some diving thataway. I've never dove in saltwater before (unless you count DiveQuest at Epcot Center, Florida.) I have a score of dives under my belt.

I'm exploring if this is feasible. As I am travelling with a non-diver, I'd have to keep the window for the adventure somewhat narrow (not a whole day event).

One thing I'd definitely need is a buddy.

Advice?

Hi Dave...

The Victoria area has some awesome shore dive sites, as well as some great boat charter sites as well.

The Saanich Inlet has 2 of my favourites sites... McKenzie Bight and Willis Point. Both are multi-level walls. McKenzie and Willis are great places to see a boot sponges and the odd cloud sponge.. as well as a lot of other life.. including the occasional 6-Gill Shark :)

Slightly north on the Inlet is Henderson Point. This site has 2+ pinnacle type formations. I find this a better site to see a variety of sea stars and types of fish.. due to the "bottomography"!

Right in town, we have the Ogden Point Breakwater. This would be a great site to dive if your non-diver friend has nothing to do and you still want to dive. There is a cafe above the dive shop... as well as the Breakwater that they can walk along. If you are prone to realllly long dives... there is also Dallas Rd and the waterfront walk they can take in!

There are other sites I can tell you about... and I can give more detail on the ones mentioned.. feel free to contact me... cfnavychick@hotmail.com

Also, if you contact the local shops in Victoria... Great Ocean Adventures, Ogden Point Dive Centre or Frank Whites... they may be able to hook you up with a local DiveMaster and provide guided dives. There is also Wilson Diving.. they are over in Colwood.

When will you be here??

DaveC426913:
I'm making a trip out to BC over the Christmas holidays, and have heard there's great diving there. We are staying in Victoria and on Saltspring Island. It'd be cool to do some diving thataway. I've never dove in saltwater before (unless you count DiveQuest at Epcot Center, Florida.) I have a score of dives under my belt.

I'm exploring if this is feasible. As I am travelling with a non-diver, I'd have to keep the window for the adventure somewhat narrow (not a whole day event).

Advice?
If you are staying in Victoria, your travelling companion should have no trouble entertaining themselves while you spend a couple of hours diving. Most shore diving sites are close to town. We're pretty spoiled when we think a long drive is 15 minutes to get to a dive spot. As mentioned, the Ogden Point Breakwater is right by downtown and is the most popular site in town. It's a good intro to Victoria diving. Check the site below for photos and basic descriptions of some Victoria area sites.VICTORIA DIVING

DaveC426913:

Advice?

If you are in need of a buddy and or gear rentals Ogden Point is probablly your best bet. You have the dive centre right next to the dive site, and can most likely round up a buddy right at the shop, or if you give them a call ahead of time I'm sure they would do their best to make sure you had an experienced buddy or guide around to go out with you.

Wow! This is great! I will look these over!

We will be in Victoria from Dec 28th to Jan 1 and on Saltspring Island from Jan 1 to Jan 3.

My wife will be very pleased at the prospect of having something to do while I dive. Staying near cities is perfect.

Couple more questions:
1] someone here mentioned dry suit might be necessary. Izzat so?
2] I've never taken my gear anywhere except by car. Suggestion on how much of my gear I should bring vs. how much I should rent? Am I going to have a problem flying all that extra luggage?
3] I've never dove salt water (except as mentioned in the Epcot Centre DiveQuest Aquarium). Is there homewqork I should do?
4] If I could only do one dive, what is the *must do*? (baised towards the wife having something to do angle)

DaveC426913:
Wow! This is great! I will look these over!

We will be in Victoria from Dec 28th to Jan 1 and on Saltspring Island from Jan 1 to Jan 3.

My wife will be very pleased at the prospect of having something to do while I dive. Staying near cities is perfect.

Couple more questions:
1] someone here mentioned dry suit might be necessary. Izzat so?
2] I've never taken my gear anywhere except by car. Suggestion on how much of my gear I should bring vs. how much I should rent? Am I going to have a problem flying all that extra luggage?
3] I've never dove salt water (except as mentioned in the Epcot Centre DiveQuest Aquarium). Is there homewqork I should do?
4] If I could only do one dive, what is the *must do*? (baised towards the wife having something to do angle)

1)Well it is better to dive in a dry suit but it is not necessary. Many NW divers dive in wet suit. If you never dive in one it is better to dive wet it take 2-10 dives to get use to diving in a dry suit depending on your experience.

2)I would rent tank and weight belt for sure. Bring your own reg,fins,mask and BCD
I hope you have a good wet suit(7mm)

3)I learned to dive in fresh water and I didn't notice much of a difference in diving in salt water, More weight on your weight belt and of course you always have to rinse your gear (or the rental gear) when you finish diving.

4)They is too many must do dives around Victoria. But like Hardhat mention the breakwater would be your best bet. By the way on top of the dive shop (Ogden point) there is a restaurant with pretty good food and a great view.

Cheers

AL

I'm going to be missing you by less than a day Dave. :( I'm home for Xmas in Vancouver from Dec 14 - 28 and will be looking to do a local dive...but I'm catching a plane on the morning of the 28th. I hope you have a great time diving on the wet coast!

I would very much like to do the breakwater dive. I will be arriving on the 28th, and leaving on the 1st, so days available are Wed 29th through Friday 31st.

I would very much like to hear from anyone who would like to buddy up with me on one of those days. I would be more comfortable with an experienced diver since I will be in unfamiliar waters.

I've emailed Ogden Point Dive Shop, where I'll likely have the most luck finding a buddy, but as yet, have not heard back from them.

DaveC426913:
I would very much like to do the breakwater dive. I will be arriving on the 28th, and leaving on the 1st, so days available are Wed 29th through Friday 31st.

I would very much like to hear from anyone who would like to buddy up with me on one of those days. I would be more comfortable with an experienced diver since I will be in unfamiliar waters.

I've emailed Ogden Point Dive Shop, where I'll likely have the most luck finding a buddy, but as yet, have not heard back from them.

I would bring all my gear except for the tank and weights. Most airlines will let you fly sports gear for nothing, so check into that with who ever you are flying with. Dry suits are the suit of the day out here, but like Hyper-limits said, if you don't have any dry suit experience just stay wet. Keep on them at Ogden Point Dive Center, they'll find you some one to dive with, and it's also the best dive site for you to do, and the wife to have something to do as it's pretty much right down town. So she'll have all sorts of things to do ( spend your money, etc. ) As for salt water you won't have any troubles there, just a bit more weight.

If you've never dove saltwater, I would be cautious about diving in the PNW. It is demanding, cold water diving. Currents and poor viz are the rule. The weather this time of year is cold and surface conditions aren't great, although viz is better than the summer.

The Ogden Pt breakwater dive might be ok, but I would go with a divemaster or instructor. The wrecks are out of your experience level as is a lot of diving around the islands - too much current and adverse conditions.

I don't mean to curb your enthusiasm, but I've seen several bad incidences with divers coming from quarries and lakes, or who are warm water divers. You have to have a lot more equipment and know-how to deal with the conditions.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom