Choosing the main light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me personally I think the canister lights are moer versitile then the hand helds and easier to use. It gets routed through your webbing if you have that takes about whole 30 seconds to attach if that long. when your not using it stays clipped off. When you want it it'son your hand and still have that free and able to do other tasks. Also the rechargable batteries for the 10w will give a good 4 hours some even do up to 6 hours of burn time. I know many people who travel with them.

I think what he meant was Halogen is old technology and is no where up to the level of output/power that HID/Led will do. Also if your diving in any murky waters or less than ideal Viz and you plan to use the light for signaling you would def. want to look into HID. LED definetly does a better Job then Halogen lights but they dont quite focus as well as HID's do yet.

I too would suggest a can light.

But, if you are going with a hand held then Brightstar Darkbuster might be worth a look. Here is a video version (24W), but I think they also have lights without the video reflector (21W I believe). I didn't bother to look for it.

It is a bright light, and in your price range.

I think you might find some threads on it here.

I just bought a Hollis LED16 (OEM'd by Light Monkey) myself and I can't imagine using a lesser light now that its become part of my gear.

If I don't want to use it I just turn it off and I don't notice it is there, and its easier to rig and handle than a big handheld... This is one of the few expensive scuba purchases I'd do again in a heartbeat... I'm glad I went with the canister light.

I was also looking at tillytec but got a great deal on the Hollis at my LDS.

Light Monkey
There really is no other.

After months of suffering through several no-name cheapo lights, the time has come to treat myself to something real. The choice, however, is overwhelming. Now, I've seen some Hartenberger lights in action and was very impressed. I can get a second hand mint Maxi Compact NiMH (non-LED) for around EUR 280. On the other hand I read a lot of good things about the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED (besides the apparently flimsy switch build), which runs (new!) around EUR 125 these days. For the life of me, however, I can not find any decent brightness comparison between the two. Now I realize they're two very different lights but for diving in the dark European lakes and occasional tropical night dives, which one would you suggest? Let's assume batteries are not an issue here. And if you can propose something else for up to EUR 300? I want the most bang for my buck - design or portability are secondary here - this is the main light and I want it to be powerful and sturdy. HID, Halogen or LED, doesn't matter. It's about durability and efficiency. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom