Choosing the main light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bzmot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After months of suffering through several no-name cheapo lights, the time has come to treat myself to something real. The choice, however, is overwhelming. Now, I've seen some Hartenberger lights in action and was very impressed. I can get a second hand mint Maxi Compact NiMH (non-LED) for around EUR 280. On the other hand I read a lot of good things about the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED (besides the apparently flimsy switch build), which runs (new!) around EUR 125 these days. For the life of me, however, I can not find any decent brightness comparison between the two. Now I realize they're two very different lights but for diving in the dark European lakes and occasional tropical night dives, which one would you suggest? Let's assume batteries are not an issue here. And if you can propose something else for up to EUR 300? I want the most bang for my buck - design or portability are secondary here - this is the main light and I want it to be powerful and sturdy. HID, Halogen or LED, doesn't matter. It's about durability and efficiency. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

after months of suffering through several no-name cheapo lights, the time has come to treat myself to something real. The choice, however, is overwhelming. Now, i've seen some hartenberger lights in action and was very impressed. I can get a second hand mint maxi compact nimh (non-led) for around eur 280. On the other hand i read a lot of good things about the princeton tec shockwave led (besides the apparently flimsy switch build), which runs (new!) around eur 125 these days. For the life of me, however, i can not find any decent brightness comparison between the two. Now i realize they're two very different lights but for diving in the dark european lakes and occasional tropical night dives, which one would you suggest? Let's assume batteries are not an issue here. And if you can propose something else for up to eur 300? I want the most bang for my buck - design or portability are secondary here - this is the main light and i want it to be powerful and sturdy. Hid, halogen or led, doesn't matter. It's about durability and efficiency. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

how much do you want to spend$

Well, like I said, up to EUR 300.

I have both the bigger and smaller pistol grip Princeton Tec Shockwave LED lights. I have not used the other for comparison. I have attempted using them in the Atlantic Ocean in the Northeast US (off New Jersey and Long Island). In general I found them to be almost useless. In clearer waters with less particulate in the way such as Caribbean diving and night dives down there, they did the job perfectly fine. I would say it depends on how murky your waters are. I don't really have much of a comparison that would specifically fit that budget and be better though.

I don't see much point in halogen these days so that leaves HID or led. For 300 euros it's a UK Light Cannon (HID), a used HID of some sort or led.

Personally I don't like the plastic pistol grip lights if you can avoid them. I think the best bang for the buck are one of the aluminum bodied led lights in the 400 lumen range and up. A more focused beam is usually best. These lights are frequently quite compact as well.

I have and do still use a Princeton Tec Shockwave LED. I am now using it for lobster hunting, but even in low vis conditions it has been plenty of light. It doesn't compare to the output of an HID, but for what it cost it is a good cost effective light.

I would look into purchasing a Used Canister light. Look for either 10-18 watt rither a Halcyon or Salvo (Light Monkey) or even a Diveright light. These would be your best bet and get most bang for your buck.

Otherwise you can contact 350Xfire he is here o this board makes lights on his own and has had several good feedback reports from other buyers and you would be right in that area and I believe you could get a nice LED light. Personally I prefer HID over LED but either way is a great light. Skip the hand hekds unless your looking for a back-up. You sound like you want a real light so buy yourself a Good canister light. 10watt HID/LED or higher

depending on if you want canister or not, the Halcyon EOS 12w LED rocks, as does the new Scout HP (which would then make a rockin' backup down the road).

if I am to weigh on on my current favorite light with regards to beam and brightness, i'd have to say, hands down, the new halcyon 21w HID. it's seems as bright as it's competitors 35w's, with a beautiful white beam that cuts through darkness and crappy vis alike.

Thanks so much for your input everyone! No, I don't want a cannister light. Just seems like too much hassle, you know? Especially for travelling but also for kitting up. If it's versatile enough and can be used topside as well, even better. So no Halcyon for me I'm afraid.

@gcbryan: why do you say halogens are over? I'm just curious, don't know much about this stuff. Is it a question of output to power consumption ratio?

@cheko8080: can you elaborate on this Shockwave being useless in turbid water thing? I've read some tests but nobody has ever mentioned that.

Also: does any of the technologies mentioned (HID, LED) offer undiminished power over the whole life cycle of the batteries? I remember reading something to that effect. Or maybe it was a specific model design, not a characteristic of the whole technology. Help me out here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom