choosing dive parks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Froglady

Contributor
Reaction score
What are you looking for in a dive park?
What would you like to see offered at dive parks?
What would make you choose one dive park over the other?
If one dive park was off the beaten path, what could they offer you to encourage you to dive there?
What would discourage you from going to a particular dive park?

1) Safety. This is mandatory. This would mean water quality that is healthy to dive in, so you don't risk getting sick. Cleared of unreasonably unsafe submerged objects, and protected from above water hazards like boat traffic. Fishing should be banned or segregated so you aren't swimming amidst baited hooks. Topside security. You don't want to spend your dive wondering if your car and/or it's contents will still be there when you surface.

2) Enjoyment. This would include good visibility (at least 10' for a lake, preferred at least 20'), something underwater to see besides rocks and mud, since it's a scuba park it should have easy entry and exit points.

3) Amenities. Topside conveniences to make the day relaxing rather than a challenge. There should be close parking, shaded tables, restrooms, somewhere to change (and a shower would be nice). Air fills and tank rentals on site, and perhaps a small dive shop and nearby store.

4) Cost. Proportional to quality, but no more than $25. At least for anything you would find in Texas (show me 100' depth and 100' viz and I might open the wallet a bit wider). And for cripes sake, stop charging for non-divers or at least just a few bucks. I want to be able to bring my wife and small kids with me so a day diving isn't a day away from the family.

IMO, most scuba parks seem to be run by owners who have little business sense and a poor attitude. CSSP is the best and even they are lacking in many areas.

Froglady,
What kind of quality are you looking for in this answer? ReefHound hit all of the high points; but if you want a serious answer to this question, I would have to write a serious 40 page business report covering all aspects of public appeal, safety, customer service protocols and back-office business management.

If someone with a serious college degree and a serious attitude to make a go of this wanted to open a scuba park, I believe the market would beat your door down -- at least around here in the Metroplex.

I also have some interesting ideas for the admissions pricing structure.
JR

I like living stuff...fish and plants.
Clean hot showers and restrooms, especially if I'm camping. No biggie if I can day trip it.
Other activities, play ground, horse shoe pits, b-ball court. etc
Lots of shade.
Air on site
I would like a small c-store.

Off the beaten path would be attractive

My opinions only

ReefHound:
1) Safety. This is mandatory. This would mean water quality that is healthy to dive in, so you don't risk getting sick. Cleared of unreasonably unsafe submerged objects, and protected from above water hazards like boat traffic. Fishing should be banned or segregated so you aren't swimming amidst baited hooks. Topside security. You don't want to spend your dive wondering if your car and/or it's contents will still be there when you surface.

2) Enjoyment. This would include good visibility (at least 10' for a lake, preferred at least 20'), something underwater to see besides rocks and mud, since it's a scuba park it should have easy entry and exit points.

3) Amenities. Topside conveniences to make the day relaxing rather than a challenge. There should be close parking, shaded tables, restrooms, somewhere to change (and a shower would be nice). Air fills and tank rentals on site, and perhaps a small dive shop and nearby store.

4) Cost. Proportional to quality, but no more than $25. At least for anything you would find in Texas (show me 100' depth and 100' viz and I might open the wallet a bit wider). And for cripes sake, stop charging for non-divers or at least just a few bucks. I want to be able to bring my wife and small kids with me so a day diving isn't a day away from the family.

IMO, most scuba parks seem to be run by owners who have little business sense and a poor attitude. CSSP is the best and even they are lacking in many areas.

Well, like 'ol Forest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that."

Rergards,

The water should be clean....reasonably clear. 6 feet vis. or better would do.
There should be some shallow places with no fishing or boats or sharp objects.:05:
There should be some deeper places for that nice romantic effect they provide.:10:
Also.....
There should be at least one Black Hole that defies logic where fishing line, boats above and below share the water with sharp metal objects and the cold and darkness let you know your diving in a 100+ ft. lake and not a swimming pool....:14:

I know Froglady has been there :wink:

LOL!
Frank,
Whatever you say, you always manage to say in such a poetic way!
ROFL!!

Reefhound pretty much covered it, but I'd add....

5) No swimmers and non-diving party groups.

Thanks for your replies. This park is not in the metroplex. But they are trying to encourage divers to come out and was wondering what would bring people out to them.

Which park....where is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom