Choosing dive gear as a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to clear up some misconceptions about console computers because I'm already seeing a lot of mumbo-jumbo. I have been diving a console computer for the past 20 years I guess. It has never drug along the bottom. Why? Because I use a simple retractor to clip it to my bc. (I suspect some of the folks who talk about the perils of using a console use a clipped off octo.) The retractor works great and I think I am on my 3rd retractor in 20 years, replacing them not because they failed but because I just wanted a new one. It's never in the way and doesn't get caught on stuff. It takes me on average about 3 seconds to actually grab it and look at it and read the numbers. Nothing to it. Really really simple process and it's not some sort of inconvenience that would keep you from performing the function.

I think computers on the wrist are fine and if that's what folks want then they should buy them and if folks want a console then buy it, but make an informed decision based on reality and not some BS you read in a thread like this. To me, the only downside of a wrist computer, if it's AI, is the transmitter giving problems. I think it's rare that you will actually have a problem with that but I have been on dive trips where it has happened and I typically lend them my spare Wisdom console.
Many of us have made informed comments in detail on why we choose to go with wrist mounted instruments instead of consoles, it's not just a bunch of heresay and mindless bickering. Many of us who have used consoles have found shortcomings with that system and we share those reasons with informed discussion as to why, it's as simple as that.
It's not a bunch of mumbo jumbo, the OP wanted opinions both ways and he got them. Both are relevant.

A common thing you see with a new diver is them dragging their console and octopus along the reef or the bottom because they are hanging free. This is bad for multiple pretty obvious reasons.

A rude and unthinking diver is not that way because of the gear he wears, rather how he was trained.

A streamlined diver can be 4 inches off the bottom and not be plowing up the sand or mud with anything. A well trained and experienced streamlined driver can be 4 inches off the bottom and not be stirring up the sand or mud as they swim along.

And it's been done with a console, it just might take a bit more thought. I moved to a wrist computer, clipped SPG, and compass/small slate on a re-tractor because it worked better for me. When I started diving there were no consoles, unless DIY, and I moved to a console later because it worked better for me, at the time. When dealing with an upgrade to a computer, new gauges and console I decided to return to my roots.

As a note, the old straight, all gauges inline, console was easier to use and stow than the new fat ones that have to be turned over to see the third gauge, and could not be tucked easily anywhere on the jacket I had at the time.

Bob
----------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

I do have one other general question though...when some of you speak of "streamlined" gear, do you mean just reducing hoses? I ask because it seems like a lot of people use the term streamline when talking about wrist computers and wrist compasses. To me though, looking in three different places for three different pieces of info doesn't seem very streamlined...as opposed to a console where everything you need to see is all in one place.

In my experience, "streamlined" means that I've set up gear to (1) reduce drag so I feel like I'm spearing through the water and (2) allow me to get very close to stuff without fear of either damaging the pretty thing I'm trying to look at or getting a dangling piece of gear or giant hose loop hung up on something. You can clip off your console but there are situations where your left hand is doing something besides holding the console, e.g. dumping air, adding air, holding a two grip camera, holding an SMB just before shooting it to the surface, writing a note on a slate, etc, where a computer on your arm is readily viewable with perhaps a wrist rotation but a clipped off console is not. These are obviously edge cases of limited relevance to the average recreational diver, but I've noticed a tendency among divers who get into multitasking activities or tech diving, where the safety margins are smaller, to move instrumentation to the arms.

Many of us have made informed comments in detail on why we choose to go with wrist mounted instruments instead of consoles, it's not just a bunch of heresay and mindless bickering. Many of us who have used consoles have found shortcomings with that system and we share those reasons with informed discussion as to why, it's as simple as that.
It's not a bunch of mumbo jumbo, the OP wanted opinions both ways and he got them. Both are relevant.

Yes, some folks have made reasonable comments about why they prefer one type of computer over another. But some comments are like the following, "dragging a furrow through the coral" and "you have to pull the console up to your face regularly, a movement so inconvenient that it is tempting to do it too rarely." Really? Seriously, is it truly that inconvenient. And the same person who made that comment also said they don't really have to look at their gauges all that much.

That's what is called mumbo jumbo.

Yes, some folks have made reasonable comments about why they prefer one type of computer over another. But some comments are like the following, "dragging a furrow through the coral" and "you have to pull the console up to your face regularly, a movement so inconvenient that it is tempting to do it too rarely." Really? Seriously, is it truly that inconvenient. And the same person who made that comment also said they don't really have to look at their gauges all that much.

I have my console, which happens to be the same Oceanic that Statdiver refers to, clipped to a ring on my BCD in such a manner that when I am horizontal, a mere tilt of my head to the left puts it right in the focal point of the reader lense of my mask. I agree with the comment about dragging equipment being not so much about the configuration, but about the user.

In my experience, "streamlined" means that I've set up gear to (1) reduce drag so I feel like I'm spearing through the water and (2) allow me to get very close to stuff without fear of either damaging the pretty thing I'm trying to look at or getting a dangling piece of gear or giant hose loop hung up on something. You can clip off your console but there are situations where your left hand is doing something besides holding the console, e.g. dumping air, adding air, holding a two grip camera, holding an SMB just before shooting it to the surface, writing a note on a slate, etc, where a computer on your arm is readily viewable with perhaps a wrist rotation but a clipped off console is not. These are obviously edge cases of limited relevance to the average recreational diver, but I've noticed a tendency among divers who get into multitasking activities or tech diving, where the safety margins are smaller, to move instrumentation to the arms.

Fair enough. Thanks for the explanation.

From my anecdotal experience, rental gear does not come with short hose, retractable bolt snap consoles. It may come with a plastic "hose keeper" clip on the left D-ring that's worn out and doesn't hold the console very well. Or it may not and you can stick your console under the belt of your BCD. At least that way you'll feel it when (not if) it falls out and starts ploughing.

As a new diver, about the only time you will use a compass is the certification dives. People who do use them for real tend to prefer slate-mounted ones, followed by wrist-mounted. Console-mounted ones are commonly referred to as "pain to use". So, you don't need the compass in the console.

As a "recreational" diver you don't really need a backup depth gauge: you have a buddy for that. Your primary is in your computer, of course. So, you don't need the depth gauge in your console.

So the next time you're holding the two by four by six (if not larger) console, consider that the only part of it you actually need is the 2"-wide and 1"-thick tank pressure gauge.

It's my experience that trying to clip off a console and have it tucked very close to the body is not easy to do with the off-the-rack attachment systems that dive shops carry. A retractor has two clips on either end and also the size/length of the retracting reel itself, so with that clipped off to a D-ring on the frontside of a diver somewhere, there will still be 4" to 6" of clip or maybe more, then there's the thickness of the console unit/cluster which might be another 2" to 3". This to me hangs down more than I would prefer, even clipped off the best possible way. With wrist mounted instruments there is nothing clipped off on the front of me that can hang down. The SPG is over on my side which is completely out of the way and rides close to my body. I also dive in dark murky waters and sometimes at night so it's easier to me to have my info on my wrists so I can just raise my arm and see it. Many times I am hunting and carrying a spear gun, so having to handle another thing becomes a hassle.

Now if I was a tropical diver only doing reef dives in great visibility and stayed off the bottom, wasn't on a mission, etc, then maybe a console would work fine for me, but for what I do they're clunky and in the way. So maybe it's a regional thing, and the reasons people choose either has to do more with location and goals?
Then there's the training part too, if someone was trained using a console they may not realize there are alternatives. My hope is that people will read this and realize there is another way, then they can make an informed decision as to which system will work best for them.

So the next time you're holding the two by four by six (if not larger) console, consider that the only part of it you actually need is the 2"-wide and 1"-thick tank pressure gauge.

I don't know the measurements of my Wisdom but it's actually pretty small as I don't have a compass attached anyway as I don't use a compass when diving. But to me, it's compact and the numbers are very large and easy to read which is a good thing as the eyes aren't quite as sharp as they once were.

---------- Post added January 5th, 2016 at 03:00 PM ----------

Now if I was a tropical diver only doing reef dives in great visibility and stayed off the bottom, wasn't on a mission, etc, then maybe a console would work fine for me

You just described me to a T.

Then there's the training part too, if someone was trained using a console they may not realize there are alternatives. My hope is that people will read this and realize there is another way, then they can make an informed decision as to which system will work best for them.

In addition, snce you have the computer and gauges in their console, it is quite cheap to buy what little you need to try other separated configurations and determine what works best for your diving. I encourage divers to try other configurations. Unless you are a alphabet team diver with a prescribed kit, you should have your gear the way it works best for you.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom