Choosing between timeshares in Coz -- Park Royal or El Ciid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It looks like they are using points they have not buying one.

After I get through customs in Coz I like to announce to the "helpful" people standing just outside there and say "I am interested in a time share, is there anyone here that could help me?" :D

So that insures you don't get any dives in the first day !

No experience staying at either BUT my first visit to Coz was by buying a weeks stay from a relative who bought into the time share game at Sol Caribe, which is now The Park Royal under different ownership. The shore dive from either uses the same real estate so no difference there. Park Royal has several amenities that I doubt El Cid has & is where I'd stay to keep my wife (non swimmer) happy. Do your points cover the AI part of this? If not that has a big impact on things. Either way DO NOT use Aqua World which is the in house dive op at Park Royal. If it helps my GROUNDS photo tour of Park Royal is here.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry - The Park Roya...

And although shot from the area beside Dive with Martin's shop this is the waterfront area at El Cid.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry - the 2012 & 20...

I've stayed at both and there are some pro's and cons to each.

El Cid is smaller and easer to get around. You don't have to pay for the all inclusive, it that's not your thing. The rooms have refrigerators. You don't have to pay for the use of the safe or any pier fees. You are close to the water. The down side is that if you are going to spend a lot of time on the property (non divers) it may be too small. If you are an AI person, your dining options are very limited.

Park Royal is a larger property, but not a mega resort. More pool and dining options than El Cid. Newly remodeled and very nice place. The down falls: no fridge in the room, you pay some small fees for the pier use and safe, you must pay for the AI option, any rooms below the 5th floor will not have a view of the water, if your dive op does not keep your gear, it is a long haul from the pier to your room.

IMO, the additional money for the Park Royal was not so much that we felt wasteful going into town often to eat diner at our favorite restaurants. I thought the breakfast and lunch options were great. Both properties are close enough that the cab fares were reasonable.

PH

PH nailed it.

The fees at PR is $2 a day for the safe and at Aqua World the pier use is $5 for a week (for a bracelet thing). Pretty minimal for the bonus of a much better property than the El Cid (3 pools, 3 swim up bars - lots more eating options etc). But if you are a laid back, quiet type - the El Cid may be your thing.

We stayed at Park Royal, the view is much better than El Cid. We stayed at Park Royal on March 7-14 and dove w Scuba Mau. I also used RCI and paid the all-inclusive. Park Royal is not what I'm used too. The food is decent but the staffs are very friendly. I did 3 days of diving. I did a shore dive in front of Villa Blanca on day 1. Since, I'm diving w Scuba Mau my shore dive was free on the first day and one of the guide came w us.It was good for my hubby. Day #2 boat dive we went to Palancar Garden and Paseo De Cadrel. Day #3 Palancar Caves and San Francisco. Day # 4 rest and enjoy the pool/beach and activities w the resorts. Day #5 Columbia Deep and San Francisco Wall/Paseo De Cadrel. All my diving in Cozumel was amazing especially my last dive: aquarium under the sea, 5 turtles, 3 barracudas, 3 file fish, 2 codfish,7 sharks, 5 eels, and one Eagle ray! I think I got whiplash for turning my head w all the banging. I was handed off on day #2 w another diver who is experienced in Cozumel, Kevin( 65 mins 87/46 ft, while my hubby went up w the guide. Dive #3 we all had to surfaced up w the guide/instructor cause 2 couple was doing their Advanced course. It was a good for my husband but not for me,but I was happy w 72/45ft 50 minutes dive. Day #5 we had an instructor/DM and DM trainee. My hubby went up w DM trainee while I stayed behind w 2 other experienced divers 60 mins 80/45 ft and we were in an aquarium!
Park Royal did an amazing job! We ordered box lunch on dive days, eventhough, Scuba Mau provided water, fruits, and dessert. Hubby needs his sandwich. He is only 175lbs but gets really hungry during our 1:15-1:30mins SI on a deserted beach or Parades Beach Club.
However, Park Royal and El Cid does sell day passes to cruisers $45. They weren't too bad, but get your chair/ shade before 9am when their 4-8 cruise boats! And you need to get reservations to the intimate Italian and Mexican restaurant between the hours of 12-3pm and some stand in line at 11am. If there booked I just go to buffet, it's decent. Their 5 bars and 2 serve snacks/lunch and again there's buffet lunch area. The burgers are delicious at the beach area! Remember, drink after the dive but not too much that you can't dive the next day. Oh, they don't serve Mimosa or bloody Mary, or any alcohol during breakfast which really sucks on non dive days! But on our last day, we got a box lunch for our morning dives than had a late lunch cause Scuba Mau mornings dives are from 9am-2pm if you have experience divers not so good for my hubby who is still an air hog! The only thing I would do different: rent tanks at El Cid to do their shore dive,but be careful w boat traffic, than rent tanks at aquaworld for shore diving which is across the street from Park Royal and buy the wrist bands so other boats like Scuba Maybe can pick you up from Aquaworld dock($6 per person, 1 week) be careful w boat traffic, and than do a shore dive in front of Villa Blanca and one shore dive tanks is free w Scuba Mau and leave gears w him. That's my plan when I come back to Cozumel. Who wants my hubby for a dive buddy...ha ha ha, not kidding! We are in PDC now and did the cenotes w CenoteXperience and dove Dos Ojos(Barbie Line/Bat Caves) . Hubby took a siesta when I dove the Bat Cave w 2 other divers who kicked up silts. Next time, I'm showing my Open Water or Advanced card. I'm not showing my Master Diver/Century card and if I do, I would stay 50yards behind them! CenoteXperience is one of the friendly dive shop I been with: good reservations, email, and service! I would definitely come back to dive w Scuba Mau and CenoteXperience. Also, I would stay at Park Royal while in Cozumel!

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 01:21 PM ----------

Ron Lee and SouthsideScuba Steve,
Buy a timeshare at the resort/place that you like. I trade my timeshare sometimes, but not all the time. I used alot of the extra vacations and pay the fees. I been Happy w my timeshare and I love to travel w and without kids. Good luck on your decision but choose wisely!

Last edited:
My 18 year old son and I both enjoyed Park Royal which we used RCI points to book. I felt the A-I fee was very reasonable for our food and drink for the week but not so much I was afraid to go off the resort to eat. The resort has several pools, bars, and restaurants to choose from. The buffet food wasn't fabulous but very passable with plenty of choices. Breakfast we the best. They do have two nice pools with swim up bars right on the water so they are great places to hang out after diving. The room was nice (but no frig) and our view was excellent.

We dove with Dive With Martin all week and were thrilled with their service. They kept our gear at the shop and we walked to their shop each day. It is very close to the resort (at the international Pier) so it's no problem to walk there. We did this rather than paying the fee and walking to the resort pier which was almost as far from our room. DWM did a great job guiding our dives and letting us have plenty of time on our tanks. I will use them again.

Back
Top Bottom