Choosing a steel tank to purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fill mine at home to 3800. Problem is many ow shops refuse to fill any tank beyond 3000 and often less.
As with many things, what you do in the privacy of your home -- accepting all associated risks etc. -- is often completely different from that which is done in a commercial environment governed by a set of defined standards and regulations and the associated liability.

I am sure you understand this and most people who own their own compressor get it, but it bears repeating to those who love to gripe about their "evil LDS."

On the other hand, shops not filling tanks to their rated pressure (if customers are willing to wait) are being lazy and deserve to lose business.

I have some very large tanks, 133 and 149 fabers, respectively, both gufts. That being said. For a 5 11 165lb person, the 100s are the best option maybe even the 117s. I can easily have my 72 lp filled to 3400 from my LDS without issue, but that is not always the case with other LDS. Let us know what you end up going with @marginwalker. Once you go steel, you won't go back lol

133 left, 149 center steel 72 lp right, two alum 80s upfront,

Attachments

• 237011985_1448999968813628_3669496945062072674_n (1).jpg
    237011985_1448999968813628_3669496945062072674_n (1).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 90
My small neck 120 are galvanized under the paint.. I am quite sure its factory paint,
Don't like the small thread, but got them for a reasonable price, and can't go wrong on them,

Attachments

• 16355368129761950805689308840039.jpg
    16355368129761950805689308840039.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 72
I should have posted an update to this. Thanks to all the great advice on this thread I ended up buying an HP100, specifically the Faber hot dipped galvanized version. I have only tested it in the pool so far, but the size and weight seem good for me, and I am looking forward to carrying less lead this weekend when I finally get to try it on a proper dive. Thanks again to everyone who shared their opinions and experiences to help e make this decision!

My small neck 120 are galvanized under the paint.. I am quite sure its factory paint,
Don't like the small thread, but got them for a reasonable price, and can't go wrong on them,
That one is molting!

I'll throw in for HP 100'S as well for your size should be best balance of everything.

I have a question on the hot dip galvanizing. I'm looking at getting a pair of the HP100s. I've done the contemplation about renting vs owning. My dive volume will be lower than many but I like the idea that I can drop off and pick up the tanks and not have to schedule that around the dive itself and possibly suffer over charges.

If my tanks see 2-4 dives a month, is getting the hot dip versions overkill? Or can I save the 100 bucks on the pair and just get the standard finish with that volume? If you get the standard finish, I assume there's some kind of touch up paint you can use if they get scratched?

I have a question on the hot dip galvanizing. I'm looking at getting a pair of the HP100s. I've done the contemplation about renting vs owning. My dive volume will be lower than many but I like the idea that I can drop off and pick up the tanks and not have to schedule that around the dive itself and possibly suffer over charges.

If my tanks see 2-4 dives a month, is getting the hot dip versions overkill? Or can I save the 100 bucks on the pair and just get the standard finish with that volume? If you get the standard finish, I assume there's some kind of touch up paint you can use if they get scratched?

IMO no, not overkill. My rule to live by for tanks is that if it will see saltwater, it needs to be HDG (if steel) or aluminum. 2-4 dives a month is not an insignificant amount of diving. Assuming you want your tanks to last a long time, and steel tanks should last you a LONG time, than HDG is absolutely worth the extra cost initially.

Back
Top Bottom