Choosing a BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey there!

So my husband and I are definitely new to diving, but after reading through a bunch of information, we've decided that we want to start off with a bp/w bc, instead of the typical go-to jacket, etc. My local dive shop has almost no information regarding bp/w bcs, so I figured this might be a good place to start. I haven't been able to find a lot of information aimed at new divers, so I really am starting at ground zero.

I was looking at some of the Hollis gear. LeisurePro has been awesome (we've gotten some of our basic gear from their website), and I haven't really looked elsewhere at gear (I did browse Deep Sea Supply, but couldn't really figure out what I need).

Anyways, I've sort of been looking at the following setup:
Hollis Elite II Harness $152 OR Solo $89
SS BP $117
Hollis S Series Wings 25 lb lift $283

I also plan on diving with a 5 mil wetsuit

Obviously I'm only doing ow diving for now, but eventually want to move towards some more tech diving, so I want my gear to be able to work for that too.

So my questions are:
Am I moving in the totally wrong direction? Does this sound like an okay setup?
Are different brands compatible with eachother? (Can I use a Diveright harness with a hollis plate? etc)
Am I overlooking any crucial things that I might need?
Padded vs. Unpadded harnesses?
Am I missing something? Or if I order these items will I have everything I need to assemble it? What other accessories will I need?

Sorry for so many questions--- most of the threads and info I've found have been aimed towards people that already know what they're doing, and I don't. If you all can point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

Just a thought for now as its late and I trust many others will chime in... But, if you are undecided then check all of the shops in your area and see if any rent out bp/w... If not, I know that Ginnie Springs (couple of hours up the road from you) rent Transpac's. Treanspac's, if your not familiar, are similar to bp/w but without the "plate"... I even like it much more than a jacket and the reason I got the transplate which comes with a plate...

This is how we decided what we wanted... I ended up with a Dive Rite Transplate and my wife got the Transpac... Both of us are pleased with our decisions. I did get the Oxycheq 30# wing for both of us as well...

Very pleased with my setup and I have the ability to change and grow without starting from scratch!

Good luck in your choice... lee

Great decision. I will make your selection very simple for you. Halcyon. :thumb:

Last edited:
Hi Christine,

I am sure that you'll get lots of assistance here in Scubaboard, as there are many BP&W divers here. Firstly, I would like to draw attention to the common misunderstanding that a BP&W is somehow 'technical diving'. It is not. The basic concept of BP&W design is very popular within technical and cave diving, but it is not limited in any way to those fields.

When used with a single cylinder, the BP&W can be considered 'just another' type of BCD design.// albeit one with a good pedigree.

I did browse Deep Sea Supply, but couldn't really figure out what I need).
Tobin, the owner of DSS, is regularly here on the forum. His profile is 'Coolhardware52'. He is very helpful with his advice.

Am I moving in the totally wrong direction? Does this sound like an okay setup?

I'm not that familiar with Hollis gear, as it doesn't really sell here in Asia, but selection you made seems pretty decent for single cylinder diving.

Are different brands compatible with eachother? (Can I use a Diveright harness with a hollis plate? etc)

Generally, most brands are inter-functional, so you shouldn't feel compelled to stick with just one brand with your set-up. It's always worth checking before purchase though.

Am I overlooking any crucial things that I might need?

Backplate.
Harness (inc crotchstrap)
Wing.

It's that simple. The BP&W concept evolved from 'best practice' within the technical and cave diving communities. In contrast to over-complicated jacket BCD designs on the market, the BP&W is rooted in a minimalist, modular design.

When it comes to streamlined, clutter-free, low stress diving - less is definitely more :D

Padded vs. Unpadded harnesses?

That is a matter of personal preference. However, the majority of BP&W users opt (sooner or later) for a basic unpadded harness. These are far more comfortable and practical than they look...and are also far cheaper.

My advice is to go for a basic, unpadded harness first. For reference, the basic single-piece harness is often called a 'Hog' or 'Hogarthian' harness. You'll probably adapt to it just fine. If, after a dozen or so dives, you feel uncomfortable, then you can opt to upgrade.

Am I missing something? Or if I order these items will I have everything I need to assemble it? What other accessories will I need?

There's a number of videos on youtube that illustrate how to setup a BP&W. In truth, it's a pretty simple task to put it together. There's a few detailed threads here on Scubaboard also...

Fitting the BP&W is another matter. Most new users tend to fit the harness to tightly (as they would with a jacket BCD). Getting the optimum configuration for perfecting your trim and buoyancy is often a case of trial, error and post-dive adjustment. Again, there are people here on Scubaboard who can certainly advise and assist you with that :)

Hi Christine

Sounds like you all are moving in the right direction! Me and my son started diving about 6-7 years ago and purchased Dive Rite wings & harness. We checked at Leisure Pro because they have very good prices. But bought localy as long as they would price match. It is nice to have a local shop for profesional advice.
As far as I know wings and plates are universal and interchangable but I would confirm this from whoever you buy from. Interchangability simplicity service and parts are important!
A 25lb wing will be fine for most Rec dives, but you will need a diferent wing for Tec, Designed for the type of equipment combination and diving you do.
I did not buy my equipment from the shop I was certified because they did not sell Tec dive equipment and were not knowlegeble or negotiable on the price. Find a good shop with divers you trust.
I bought my primary gear localy at different dive shops so I could get local service and help as needed then bought mis stuff online

(I did browse Deep Sea Supply, but couldn't really figure out what I need).
Click on "products," "complete rigs," "rig configurator," "single tank rig," etc. It is probably the easiest place to buy a bp/w.

Currently I'm only planning on doing recreational diving, but I don't want to limit my gear from the start and have to buy a whole new setup when I do move forward.

Thanks for all the help--- I'm having a lot of trouble finding a local dive shop (even within a couple of hours) that will be able to help with the purchase.

Also, what is a side mount? A few of the products I'm running into are labeled as such, but I can't really find a good explanation of what they're used for.
Also, do any of you suggest the back pad, or is using the bare plate comfortable for most people?

Thanks so much!

Currently I'm only planning on doing recreational diving, but I don't want to limit my gear from the start and have to buy a whole new setup when I do move forward.

Thanks for all the help--- I'm having a lot of trouble finding a local dive shop (even within a couple of hours) that will be able to help with the purchase.

Also, what is a side mount? A few of the products I'm running into are labeled as such, but I can't really find a good explanation of what they're used for.
Also, do any of you suggest the back pad, or is using the bare plate comfortable for most people?

Thanks so much!

Hi Christine,

BP&W's can be confusing. Because of their modular nature the combinations possible with a BP&W can be overwhelming.

At the same time the modular nature of BP&W is precisely what allow them to adapt to new applications.

Generally the same plate and harness will serve you from single tank recreational diving in warm water all the way through doubles, deco bottles, scooters etc. What changes is the required wing.

There are a *lot* of ways to skin this cat, and I'd be happy to walk you through the selection process. This often best done via a phone call. 626-799-5074.

Tobin

If either of you are tall, I suggest getting a long (or extra long respectively) plate from DSS. Having recently changed from a Halcyon (doubles) and HOG (single) to a DSS long plate (I'm 6'4") I gotta tell you, I didn't know diving could be this comfortable...made a huge difference for me. They are much more expensive than other wings, but well worth every penny. And dealing with Tobin is always a pleasure.

Figure out how much lift you need a buy a single's wing. From the multiple wings I've dived they are all the same IMHO (at least for single tanks). Aside from the toughness of the Oxycheq wings (one of their lines) an oval singles wing is an oval singles wing.

Check out the package deals at diverightinscuba.com. If you don't need the tall DSS wing, then get the HOG/Hollis package (go to tech-->packages). Best bang for the buck.

I can't comment on harnesses as I use webbing. One of my buddies uses a Dive-Rite one...forget which with a steel plate and he loves it. Different strokes...

Backpads...I used one for months...went diving without one and never bothered putting it back on. Really so little of the plate actually sits on your back. If you have some LONG hikes to do with kit on prior to getting into water then perhaps it might be beneficial, but otherwise I see no need for one. Remember you don't have to spend a lot of money on a BP&W unless you need something specific (like a tall plate). Most all plates are created equal. As long as they have standard 11" centers and their machining is good (no sharp edges, etc).

I do recommend a single tank adapter, some folks don't use them and are fine. I swap my plate between my singles and doubles so it makes life easier for me and I prefer the way the tank sits using the STA. When I used two plates I still used the STA. Try with and without and see what you prefer.

Seb--

golem gear tends to run specials on combos from time to time. can't attest to the quality of their plates and webbing (but that stuff is pretty hard to screw up) but the wings seem to be bullet proof

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom