Choosing a Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I was talking talking to my friendly LDS, who is a Halcyon Dealer, today about some things with my tanks and GUE fundamentals came up... I initially said I don't want to buy new gear to become DIR, but am maybe backing off of that a little bit as I have wanted a plate and wing for a few years now. Today was the first time in this particular LDS and they were fantastic, so I do want to support them, I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a new Halcyon setup at the moment.

Here's my usual 'profile', I normally dive my PST steel 120 and 80cf with a full 3mm farmer john wetsuit, zeagle escape etc. I usually wear around 6-8lbs in saltwater.

I really like the look/feel/construction of the Halcyon rigs, but I can't bring myself to pay $700 for a single tank eclipse setup. I have looked at the Oxycheq stuff online, but have never actually seen one up close and personal.

So, who makes your favorite wing?

I was thinking a Dive-Rite Aluminum plate with an Oxycheq harness and 30lb single tank wing. (if the oxycheq wing will fit on the Dive-Rite harness, I don't know).

I want this setup to be DIR, or close to it.

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

A wing and a backplate are separate considerations. You're unlikely to have a backplate without a wing, but you can easily have a wing without a backplate. The DiveRite Transpac is an excellent example. I've done way more dives with a Transpac than I ever have with a backplate.

Why do want your rig to be "DIR"?

Although I am not GUE certified, I would offer a few comments:

• Select a Backplate that meets your ballast needs. There are many out there that will do an excellent job. The holes are typically standard for either a Single Tank Adapter (STA), or double tanks with bands. You will find that the BP/W set-up will provide a great deal of flexibility and modularity.
  • Go with a simple HOG harness constructed from a single piece of webbing with D rings mounted appropriately on chest and waist.
  • Select a wing that meets your bouyancy and tank requirements.
I have heard good reviews on the Board of the the Deep Sea Supply equipment, but I dive a Fred T SS Backplate, and an OxyCheq 30# single wing. I did a review of my OxyCheq Mach V wing about a year ago shortly after purchase, and it can be found here:

Caribbean Blue Diving Services: Review of OxyCheq 30# Mach V Wing

After diving a BP/W set-up for a couple of years now, I don't think I would ever switch back to a normal recreational BC.

Dive Safe!

Halcyon's are IMO overpriced.

If you need a complete setup, it's hard to beat DSS. If you need a heavy setup, it's impossible to beat Hammerhead, but you will be left with putting together each piece. That is not a bad thing, but some don't want the hassle.

At just over $100 bucks you get a nice Hammerhead SS marine grade BP with a heavy STA, which is about 12lbs of weight between the BP/STA. You then add a wing, and harness, CAM bands, and you are done.

If I could purchase any wing, it would likely be a Oxycheq Mach V Extreme, but that is one expensive wing, and IMO the price is likely not justified unless you are diving in some seriously difficult environments.

Most BP/W systems don't include weight pockets. So plan on spending some $$$ on a weight belt.

Honestly, if you are not diving dry, or thinking of going to doubles, I'd skip the BP/W, and just stay with the escape. It's a solid BC even if the wing material is a bit light.

Good Luck on the decision.

Ditto for DSS. Got my first set of gear from these guys. Great stuff all around. Super customer service and advice. Tobin will get you set up. You won't be sorry.

Thanks everyone!

I would like it to be DIR as I am toying with the idea of taking a few GUE classes, fundamentals and perhaps tech 1. I doubt I would go much beyond that, hours of deco are not in my game plan, but the skill sets would be nice. I'm still gathering info, so its not like its going to happen tomorrow. My biggest complaint with the Escape is it seems to ride up on me, especially when I'm inverted (not surprising without a crotch strap) looking at something. I'm tall, 6'6", which I think may be part of the problem.

The DSS stuff looks very nice, complicates things that much more, haha. The Kydex "hybrid" plate doesn't really entice me though, I know the stuff is tough, I've worked in it, I'm just afraid it would be too flexible.

I agree Halcyon seems overpriced. It looks 'pretty' and I'm sure its great stuff, but sorry I'm not spending that kind of money on a new setup, or some of their waaay overpriced. accessories!

Thanks for your replies and suggestions!

I'm late. But, I also give a vote to Tobin and DSS!

If your correct weighting is 6 to 8 lbs in salt water with a BC, you may be able to use a SS backplate with no additional weight at all. We found that our BCs were 2 to 3 lbs positive, so if you lose that and add five for the backplate, you come up with the total weight you are using. You may or may not want to dive with no ditchable weight, and if you want to have some, the lighter plate and a small weight belt is a good combination.

Regarding the Kydex plate . . . I have one (and so does my husband). There is a small amount of flexibility where the kydex meets the stainless steel backbone, but really, it's just enough to ensure you can get the plate on ANY set of doubles (not an issue for you, it sounds like!) Once the rig is on your back, it's as rigid as any other plate. I like my Kydex plate a lot for travel. However, if you look at the GUE guidelines for plates, they specifically state they are not to be plastic. Danny and Fred (GUE cave instructors in Mexico) looked a bit askance at my Kydex plate, and asked me about breakage, but they didn't forbid me to use it.

Halcyon gear tends to sit at one of the highest price points for almost any item they make. Some things I think are worth it -- I really like their SMB and their reels -- but other are hard to justify. I think the DSS single tank setup, at $445 for a stainless steel plate and Hog harness, is a really good package price -- Plus, if you talk to Tobin, you will be absolutely sure that you will end up with the combination of plate and wing that will work best for your purposes.

If absolutely minimizing cost is a critical issue, you can sometimes save a little more by buying when manufacturers have major promotions (Golem Gear had a sale a year or so ago where they were offering a single tank setup for about $350, as I recall) or by buying some components used (there isn't a whole lot one can do to screw up a backplate). But just making a single purchase decision on a complete setup from DSS is an efficient way to have a great rig in your hands quickly!

Halcyon gear is generally good quality and well designed, but funnily enough I looked at their SMBs, and while they seemed to be the best I could find made in the USA they didn't come close to the Buddy products made by AP Valves in England. Furthermore APV make models with a range of inflation systems, whereas when I phoned Halcyon to ask if they made one that could be inflated with a 2nd stage (my preference) they simply said "we don't teach that". So Halcyon is fine if you have their restricted mindset, but there are equally good manufacturers elsewhere who may actually make what you want to use.

I had a diver come to me a couple of years ago and ask to rent a backplate. I offered him SS, aluminum or resin, from three different manufacturers. "No Halcyon?" he said, clearly disappointed. "Sorry" I said, "but you'll find the DiveRite SS pretty close in design". "No, it has to be Halcyon". "Well, goodbye then". This guy had swallowed the DIR/GUE hype hook, line and sinker, and clearly believed there was no other way to dive. My shop was/still is the only one in Belize that rents tech equipment, so I guess he never got to dive here.

Back
Top Bottom