Choosing a Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your BC is probably +2lb. By switching to AL plate (-2lb), you are alreadying taking 4lb off your weight belt.

How did you get the 4lb off the wb?

How did you get the 4lb off the wb?

The 2lb you don't need to sink the BCD, gone from the wb, + the 2lb of negative weight added to the system with the ali plate, gone from the wb, = 4lb off the weight belt.

You are saying that the "buoyancy swing" in this case is -4lb when going from a +2lb to -2lb. Doesn't the wing has some inherent + buoyancy itself?

You are saying that the "buoyancy swing" in this case is -4lb when going from a +2lb to -2lb. Doesn't the wing has some inherent + buoyancy itself?

No, I'm saying that if you replace a BCD that is 2lb positive with a plate that's 2lb negative, you get to remove the 2lb from your wb it takes to sink the BCD. And you get to remove the 2lb of lead on the wb that the negative weight of the ali plate is replacing. You get to remove 4lb in lead from your wb, but you've only removed 2lb overall, & that's the 2lb it took to compensate for the inherent buoyancy of the BCD.

If there's any inherent buoyancy in a wing it would be very minor.

Once again thank you all for your well thought out and informative responses.

I did a shore dive today with my Zeagle Escape and as usual, it rode up, reinforcing my desire for a BP/W.

In looking at the DSS products one thing I really like about their BP's is that they offer a 'long' version of the plate, which is ideal for me as I'm 6'6". Do any other manufacturers make a long plate? Are different sized plates even necessary? Hammerheads' website states "We only make one size plate because we found that by adding an extra set of adjustment holes and also adding an extra small bend at the bottom of our plate allows the plate to comfortably fit people from about 5 foot to about 6'6"." Any words of wisdom on this?

I am just having a tough time putting all the variables which make this system so adaptable together. I think I may go and rent a rig (I think they only rent Halcyon) from my LDS to play a little bit before I make the investment.

I am leaning towards the DSS wing at the very least...next to figure out the rest!

It was mentioned that my weighting description was a little on the lax side, what other information would help with the AL/ST/Kydex BP decision?

Thanks again!

The statement I bolded in your post is exactly what you should do. By renting, you can at the very least, make an informed decision on whether you even need to try a longer plate. I dive a Halcyon rig, and I like it plenty. However, I won't even pretend to state it is the best, or even better than anything else, as I've not dove any other bp/w setup. My decision was based on prior business relations with my LDS...especially his fantastic support...and, a very satisfied weekend of diving a Halcyon rental rig. Good luck with your quest.

caveadventurers.com. 400$ tax tag and title with cam bands and ss dive rite bp. oxy wing with built in sta. I love it! I gotta say, though, there are about 5 deals out there within 50 bucks difference so you should be able to find something you like. While I agree halcyon looks pretty, I doubt its any better than most other companies. If i had to do it again I'd do caveadventurers or tobin at dss.

peace

Once again thank you all for your well thought out and informative responses.

I did a shore dive today with my Zeagle Escape and as usual, it rode up, reinforcing my desire for a BP/W.

Thanks again!

Has anyone noticed the OP was in 2008?

Has anyone noticed the OP was in 2008?

...and pretty much the only thing he has done on SB since he started the thread 3 years ago was sell his Zeagle Escape last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom