Choose the drysuit - ScubaPro? Bare? Whites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to derail this discussion but can I wear non-scuba undergarments? I have my old Army thinsulate long johns that are the warmest I've ever worn. Will these work?

Seems most every new drysuit diver tries this. Eventually, we've all moved to 'real' undergarments. I've been happy as well as many of my buddies with Janice at Softwear. SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

If you'd like to try my non diving alternatives I tried they are probably still sitting in my closet. :wink:

I have a Fusion. I use it for cold water diving, cool water diving, warm water diving, and cave diving. I love the suit. It IS more difficult to get on, when I am using the thickest undergarments (but I understand the cut has been changed since I bought mine -- I got one of the first on the market). But it's light and it packs easily, and the mobility I have in it is extraordinary. I did replace the socks with TurboSoles, though, after I kicked a rock boot off about 1500 feet back in a cave.

Seems most every new drysuit diver tries this. Eventually, we've all moved to 'real' undergarments. I've been happy as well as many of my buddies with Janice at Softwear. SoftWear for the Scuba Diver

If you'd like to try my non diving alternatives I tried they are probably still sitting in my closet. :wink:

I have about 60 dives on my drysuit and still use my camping/hiking undergarments. I layer as needed.

Not to derail this discussion but can I wear non-scuba undergarments? I have my old Army thinsulate long johns that are the warmest I've ever worn. Will these work?

You need to think about how they behave while wet. IIRC, some Thinsulate works better when wet and is designed to be used under some sort of pressure (like footwear, or specifically made for drysuits) and not have a lot of loft to it, yet keep you warm.

Being wet and cold makes for interesting decompressions.

I dive a Pinnacle Freedom 2. You can't beat a self donning/doffing drysuit. The suit is TriLam, and has a telescoping torso section so it'll fit most people. I also have the drysuit gloves and would advise you to invest in a good pair of rock boots and an appropriate undergarmet if you go the drysuit route. As mentioned earlier, a TriLam gives you the widest temp range for use based on your undergarmet. I haven't dived in a wetsuit since.

I just ordered a Whites Fusion Tech with a neoprene neck seal and pockets - I can't wait for it to arrive!

I did my dry suit cert in a more traditional bi-laminate suit and then I had an opportunity to try on a Fusion (it was the Bullet skin) at a Whites Demo Day, man what a huge difference! Night and day! The Fusion provided incredible range of motion and felt almost more like a wet suit than a dry suit. Also impressive is the way the air seems to "even out" throughout the suit so that you don't experience air rushing from one spot to another. True, it was a bit harder to don than the bi-laminate suit but who cares? It wasn't THAT more difficult to don and with a bit of practice it'll become 2nd nature. The other cool thing is that you can change the outer skins should you ever want/need to, although most reviews from those who've dove the suit for some time state that their skins are holding up as well as more traditional suits. Also, the suit is perfect for travel and in the case of a cave diver would probably provide the slimmest silhouette of any suit on the market.

Do yourself a favour and at least try one one before you buy a suit, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers!
RCT:D

I'd love to try one especially as I am right in the middle of 2 sizes - at top of 2xl/3xl and at very bottom of 4xl but..............

No-one in Australia has these though :( and can't afford to drop big $$'s on a suit size that may not fit well.

I have dove both the Bare and the Whites.
I could not afford either. I went with a used Mobbys suit from a friend.
I like the toughness of the Bare. I like the simplicity and comfort of the Whites.
When I upgrade, I will buy the Whites.
The Whites weighs less than the Bare, is just as tough, and uses less lead to balance.

Being a new dry suit diver I dove in a Bare Nex Gen and a Whites Fusion - my husband and I both bought the Fusion. Initially I thought it would be a challenge to get into but I quickly learned the best method and it is a self donning suit.

I only have about 8 dives in it but I really like it. I am able to move easily while wearing it. I am not an off the rack fit for most clothes..but was for the fusion.

I think you need to try it out.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Hey BB1, don't despair!

When I initially tried the suit at a Whites Demo Day I wore a LG/XL suit which fit very well; this is the size I ordered. However in the meantime I had a dry suit dive scheduled and my LDS let me use a 2XL/3XL Fusion because my suit had not yet arrived. At first I was a bit concerned about the difference in size and how it would effect me underwater, but when I donned the suit it fit well (probably due to the design of the outer skin which applies a constant pressure to the inner bladder). I really had to consider moving from the LG/XL to the 2XL/3XL - it was that good of a fit.

I'm staying with the LG/XL suit but my point here is that if you are "between" sizes you can easily move up to the next size Fusion and you'll STILL have a better fitting suit than most other suits on the market.

Cheers and good luck !

I'd love to try one especially as I am right in the middle of 2 sizes - at top of 2xl/3xl and at very bottom of 4xl but..............

No-one in Australia has these though :( and can't afford to drop big $$'s on a suit size that may not fit well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom