Chinese Scubapro Jet fins: yes or no-no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I ordered a pair of jet fins and they turned out to be made in Taiwan instead of the US. They also seem softer than older jet fins I've seen in the past, but perhaps my memory betrays me.

What is your experience with these fins? Do they perform as good as the American ones, or should I return them unused and get my money back?

Last edited:
You are not mistaken they are softer, the compound is not the same and the foot pocket is wider. The same thing happened to me, the shop told me they were the same as US, they then agreed that they were not, I got a refund and purchased some US Jets. As to whether you should return them that's your call if you want a stiffer fin then yes return them. The quality of finish IMO is equal to, if not better than, the US Jets I have.

"Chinese fins"
"they turned out to be made in Taiwan instead of the US."

The PRC gov't would love you.

"Why yes, Taiwan IS part of China! Thank you for acknowledging that."

:lol:

The problem with Chinese fins is that an hour later you want a new pair of fins! (sorry...couldn't resist)

LOOOL.... :D :D :D

That's the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks!

I don't have anything to add about the Chinese fins, btw. I have a pair of 40 year old Poseidon ones that may still be here 6000 years after I die :)

R..

I've been diving the Made in Taiwan fins for a few months. I have no complaints about the quality of the product. I found them to perform well in the currents of Palau, they trim out nice (if you desire neg. buoyancy), and the spring straps (standard) seem to be quite durable. I cannot however compare them to the original American fins since I never used them.

My frogkicks have never been better!

Incidentally, they are manufactured approx. 250 meters from my house. A number of other well known brands are being made at the same location.

"Chinese fins"
"they turned out to be made in Taiwan instead of the US."

The PRC gov't would love you.

"Why yes, Taiwan IS part of China! Thank you for acknowledging that."

:lol:

Are you laughing at your own ignorance?

The ethnic Taiwanese are not Han people they are more closely related to the peoples of the South Pacific. However, the ethnic Taiwanese are now only a small part of Taiwan's population. The majority are Han Chinese from the mainland.

Politically, the Nationalists never disputed that they are Chinese and that Taiwan is a part of China. What is in dispute is who is the legitimate government of China. The Nationalists claim they are while the Communists claim they are. I believe the Nationalists also consider Mongolia to be a part of China, as it was part of the old Chinese Republic.

The problem with Chinese fins is that an hour later you want a new pair of fins! (sorry...couldn't resist)

Ive been thinking about this and just don't get it, I know things lose their humour if they have to be explained but I'd be grateful if someone can explain the humour behind this. I'm off my feet and out of the water at the moment with a pretty nasty foot infection I picked up diving in Thailand a few weeks ago and clearly have too much time on my hands. Cheers.

They are not the same, get your money back and buy the real deal.

N

Ive been thinking about this and just don't get it, I know things lose their humour if they have to be explained but I'd be grateful if someone can explain the humour behind this. I'm off my feet and out of the water at the moment with a pretty nasty foot infection I picked up diving in Thailand a few weeks ago and clearly have too much time on my hands. Cheers.

Well, the joke probably alludes to a common western (mis)perception of Chinese cuisine: [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]"Every time I eat Chinese food I'm hungry an hour later."[/FONT]
Chinese Food Hunger - chinese food nutrition

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom