China Airlines to Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I recently returned from a two week vacation in Palau and thought I'd take a minute and report on using China Airlines to get there. Overall we had a really good experience using them and would do so again.

China Airlines had a flight that left LAX at 11:25pm on Thursday evening and arrived in Taipei at 5:50am Saturday morning. It was basically a 14.5 hour flight. We then had a layover of about 7 hours and left Taipei at 1:35pm arriving in Koror at 6:35pm Saturday evening. That was approximately a 4 hour flight.

The only downside with the schedule is the long layover in Taipei but the plus side is you get into Palau at a reasonable time at 6:35pm instead of 1, 2, or 3:00am like many of the airlines do. With a 6:35pm arrival, you have plenty of time to get to your hotel, get checked in, and get a good nights sleep to be ready to dive the next day.

The return flight had us leave Palau at 7:25pm on Saturday back to Taipei arriving at 10:05pm. You then have a 1:45 layover and leave Taipei at 11:50 pm arriving back in LAX at 7:25pm on Saturday. We were a little late leaving Palau but still had no problem connecting in Taipei.

The plane from LAX to Taipei in one of their newer planes that offers a "premium economy" section. The seats are 2" wider (19" instead of 17") than economy. That's what we booked and I found the seats to be very comfortable and the two extra inches are noticeable. They offer decent headphones and have all kinds of entertainment options with movies, games, etc. The food was not bad but it is airline food. I think we had two meals each way. The crew was excellent.

I don't know if this is going to be a standard practice but when we booked, they had a deal where if you booked the premium economy section, they would bump you to first class on the second leg of the flight from Taipei to Palau because they don't offer premium economy on that flight. But you need to book early because first class space is limited on that leg and it's first come first serve. As a bonus, if you get the first class upgrade, you can relax in the China Airlines lounge in Taipei when you have the long layover. They had nice chairs, sofas, and lots of food and drinks to pick from. I think we paid right at $1400 r/t for the ticket.

Overall I enjoyed flying with them and would use them again for sure.

Thanks for the info. I'll be going there in December, from Houston to Koror. This flight could be an alternative to the one I have bought from United, $1600 for roundtrip from Houston (IAH) to Koror (ROR), via Los Angeles (LAX) & Honolulu (HNL).

The reason I pick United Airlines (UA) is because I'm a frequent flyer member of this airlines (MileagePlus) and this UA flights will have a shorter flight time & lay over times (24.5 hours) or 20 hours from LAX to ROR, 5.5 hours quicker than that of China Airlines.

My outbound flight itinerary looks like this:
7:30A IAH - 9:15A LAX, Friday
10:00A LAX - 01:45P HNL, Friday-Saturday
02:45P HNL - 06:35 GUM, Saturday
08:25P GUM - 11:41P ROR, Saturday

With an overnight rest & all day on the next day (Sunday) to do a land tour, before boarding to Palau Aggressor II on Sunday evening.

The return flights also look reasonable, 25.2 hours of flight & layover times, leaving Monday morning at 1:45A. We'll disembark the boat on Sunday morning at 8:00A, so we'll have all day to do another land tour, have a nice dinner in a nice restaurant & beers in pub before checking into the United Airlines counter at midnight.

My inbound flight itinerary looks like this:
1:45A ROR - 4:50A GUM, Monday
07:15A GUM - 06:45P HNL, Monday-Sunday
09:55P HNL - 04:53 SFO, Sunday-Monday
06:00A SFO - 11:55A IAH, Monday

One of the guys on our trip does the United thing like you did but I think he goes from Dallas to HNL to GUM to ROR. Not sure what he paid. Others went by the way of Delta from Atlanta to Japan to Palau.

Several ways to get there for sure. Just have to realize that some airlines only fly into ROR on certain days and plan accordingly.

Welcome back. I hope the trip went well. Thanks for the airline info. All of us can use a bit of help when attempting to navigate flight "logic." :confused:

The diving is all it's cracked up to be and PPR is a beautiful resort. We had a great time. I'll for sure go back at some point. But first I have to do Cozumel, Sea of Cortez, Belize, Grand Cayman, Cocos, The Solomons, and Socorro!

I flew China Airlines on my first visit to Palau and thought that their service even in coach was pretty darned good. As you said, the only real drawback is the long layover in Taipei

Back
Top Bottom