children and regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a question. I read a thread says this guy let's his 7 year old breathe off his regulator in his 4 foot pool. Some of the responses were says it's dangerous. Why is that?

It's only dangerous if the child holds his breath and ascends, right? Four feet is enough to do damage. On the other hand, if dad teaches junior not to hold his breath and is willing to accept responsibility for anything that happens, who really is concerned? Frankly, I would not rely on a 7 yr. old's ability to remember ANY instructions. My 2 cents.
Neil

Well my 4yo snorkels and my 9yo has been using my octo with me for 2 years in the pool(10'deep). My 12yo got his c-card at 10 and my 13yo also at 10 and has his junior AOW. I think it's all about parenting, I supervise them at all times and have taught them for so long it's like 2nd nature. BTW my 12 & 13yo also have their junior lifeguard and CPR cert's...

The popularity of SASY has been a sucessful response to kids wanting something more "grown up " than their snorkels to breathe on. Some SASY program kids do go on to "Scuba Adventure, " in which kids are taken underwater in the pool to breathe on compressed air.

Instructors I have assisted have taken kids as deep as 13 ft after proper training & briefing. The ones who are too freaked out by the depth just plain don't make it to the bottom; the ones who are highly motivated & want to proceed have lots of supervision to avoid risk of bolting. There is little greater satisfaction than seeing a happy child kicking energetically alongside an instructor at 13'; they are so amazed to be doing such an otherworldly activity that it reminds me how priviledged I am to partake in SCUBA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom