Child diving while sharing regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK kodiak1961, where did you "hear" about this aledged incident. It amazes me how so many people will jump on an internet "story". Care to reveal your sources?

It was his stepdaughter that was involved. kodiak1961 states that later in the thread.

To kodiak1961: I think you are heading in the right direction, i.e. calmly "talking" to the biological father and explaining your serious concerns about your stepdaughter's safety and health rather than going the legal route (which remains an option). This is strictly a safety issue; It is not about freedom to raise your kids how you wish, not about biological father versus step father, not about a battle of the "Ex'es"... it is just about safety, pure and simple.

Hopefully he'll "get it"... but maybe not.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you wander around the street joining in on conversations so you can add random useless rudeness or do you just confine your bubbling personality to the interwebs?

Random useless rudeness? That's it, attack me rather than address the ideas. Why don't you try ANSWERING the question, and see the parallel? Why are other people's choices your business, and why then aren't ALL their choices your business?

Run like heck, and avoid personal risk. Don't invest yourself in your community, cuz they're all TSTL and will screw you if you try?

No, MYOB, and take steps not to let others blame their stupidity on you. If you DID insinuate your advice upon them, the likely reaction would range from indifference to belligerence, and you'd only be helping the ambulance chaser to ID you and establish a duty of care later.

Your cynicism and stated low regard for the OP, his family, and the issues he has to work through

You know nothing about my regard. People come here asking an opinion, I'll give it, but out at the dive site, it's not my place to tell them, unbidden, how to dive.

insulting his children is just plain trashy.

Excuse me? Where?

SO ... post reported. Hope you get a time out to reflect on proper interweb behaviour.

True to those busybody instincts, I see. I don't share that burning fascist need to dictate what the rest of the world says and does.

FYI: It was his stepdaughter that was involved. Go back and read the entire thread, and I'm sure you'll find it...

I think everyone reading could tell he was responding in the context of that point in the thread. In that context, his comments made sense, so why not address the substance?

Random useless rudeness? That's it, attack me rather than address the ideas. Why don't you try ANSWERING the question, and see the parallel? Why are other people's choices your business, and why then aren't ALL their choices your business?

I didn't attack you, I responded to you. I'm not getting into to the kind of dialogue you seem to want to engage people in.

I'm done here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba105
So you're a cop, I'm a fireman, 26 years. How many 16-19 year old bodies have you scraped off your highways due to parents wanting their children to "live life to the fullest" as psychocabbage puts it. Leasing a Lexus or buying a crotch rocket for little Johnny to show how much you love him,

Their kids, their choice, their pain.

Originally Posted by bubba105
then, 3 days later at 3 AM, YOU Mr. Police Officer, have to ring the parents bell to let them know little Johnny won't be coming home because he's wrapped around a tree somewhere.

If that bothers you, don't choose a career in public safety in a free country where people have choices. They have a choice, you have a choice, everyone make your choices and live with the results.

Well, thank God you showed up.

Extracting snipetts from a paragraph & making zero sense as you ramble along. How many posts in an hour, on the same thread??? Stoned??? Maybe you can help with the career choice in my next life but I'm 6 years past retirement eligibilty now so I'll sit tight on this one. Read a little slower, things will start to make sense.

I think everyone reading could tell he was responding in the context of that point in the thread. In that context, his comments made sense, so why not address the substance?

bfw: Here is what TMoore wrote: "OK kodiak1961, where did you "hear" about this aledged incident. It amazes me how so many people will jump on an internet "story". Care to reveal your sources?"

I went back and edited my post moments after I wrote it because I realized I sounded way too harsh, and I had not intended it to be... Anyway "context" can be easily overlooked or missed in threads. I took TMoore's statement at face value, and tried to address it, but as I said was too harsh, so I quickly edited it (and added some thougts).

Ok, carry on with the flame-fest :duck:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please remember in your posts that the children involved here are not at fault and references to their genetic heredity is irrevelent and in poor taste. Let's keep the conversation civil.

Last edited:
Read your own words there. "Statement of Understanding" does not equal binding agreement. In fact, I'm not sure in what sort of alternate universe it equals compelling evidence of actual understanding.
I never said it was binding nor did I offer any other characterization of it.
I simply quoted and responded to the gentleman who didn’t “remember ever seeing anything about not letting untrained people use the gear”.
The intent of my post was just to point out that many (most?) divers have actually seen such a rule, in writing.

I never said it was binding nor did I offer any other characterization of it.
I simply quoted and responded to the gentleman who didn’t “remember ever seeing anything about not letting untrained people use the gear”.
The intent of my post was just to point out that many (most?) divers have actually seen such a rule, in writing.

True. And the reason I brought up the matter in the first place is that it could be used to establish accepted safe practices in the sport/industry, regardless of whether PADI could or could not "do something" about any violations.

A jury/judge could easily find that violating that standard is a sign of negligence and, in the case of a minor child entrusted into your care, possible criminal negligence, especially if injury results.

Ok, first things first: 11 years old, get the kid certified. I thought that kids could be certified at 10 as a junior diver with restrictions, which would be fine. But, taking a kid with chronic asthma and no type of certification is indeed criminal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom