Child diving while sharing regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question regarding this. If I wanted to share my octo in my 3 ft deep pool with my son, so he could see how it felt and if he was too afraid to try it yet, could I do that and would that be "Okay/allowed"?

Thanks
With the exception of a few geographic locations (e.g. Quebec), there are no laws regarding recreational scuba diving (other than laws about compressed gas storage and transportation). However, the scuba industry self-polices. Scuba rules/guidelines/recommendations are especially enforced in a training environment. They are also enforced by recreational scuba professionals, shopkeepers, equipment or air providers, and even by other divers via peer pressure.

To answer your specific question: it depends. If you did it in our shop’s pool, we would stop you and explain the rule and rationale. If you persisted, we would remove you because to get in our pool, you signed an agreement that you would follow scuba rules. If you did it in your home pool, the only probable “legal” risk would be if someone thought you were endangering your child.

However, recall that embolism is reported as possible in water that shallow. Depending on your child’s age, why not have your child do a “try scuba” (as early as age 10) or one of the pool-only experiences offered by a couple of agencies (as early as age 8)? That way, at least it would be conducted by someone trained specifically in risks and rescue techniques.

Were it my son, I’d first make sure he was a comfortable swimmer, then do snorkeling, then consider trying scuba on the surface, or snuba (as young as 4 according to the snuba website).

I have a question regarding this. If I wanted to share my octo in my 3 ft deep pool with my son, so he could see how it felt and if he was too afraid to try it yet, could I do that and would that be "Okay/allowed"?

Thanks

I would say no.

Sorry I meant with just face in water. Not underwater. But I understand and agree with everything else you said. My son is actually a fantastic swimmer and has snorkled for the last couple of years. I am intending to enroll him in Seal Team in the fall/winter. He is about to turn 8 in Oct.

Thanks again.

With the exception of a few geographic locations (e.g. Quebec), there are no laws regarding recreational scuba diving (other than laws about compressed gas storage and transportation). However, the scuba industry self-polices. Scuba rules/guidelines/recommendations are especially enforced in a training environment. They are also enforced by recreational scuba professionals, shopkeepers, equipment or air providers, and even by other divers via peer pressure.

To answer your specific question: it depends. If you did it in our shop’s pool, we would stop you and explain the rule and rationale. If you persisted, we would remove you because to get in our pool, you signed an agreement that you would follow scuba rules. If you did it in your home pool, the only probable “legal” risk would be if someone thought you were endangering your child.

However, recall that embolism is reported as possible in water that shallow. Depending on your child’s age, why not have your child do a “try scuba” (as early as age 10) or one of the pool-only experiences offered by a couple of agencies (as early as age 8)? That way, at least it would be conducted by someone trained specifically in risks and rescue techniques.

Were it my son, I’d first make sure he was a comfortable swimmer, then do snorkeling, then consider trying scuba on the surface, or snuba (as young as 4 according to the snuba website).
Knotical,
Outstanding answer. You expressed exactly what I tried to do. This does not mean I agree with or disagree with the situation. Maybe I have been a cop to long but when I hear people make comments on something being illegal when it's not I tend to try and correct the misconception. We are a diving family (wife, brother, brother-in law and his wife, sister-in law and both my sons, 17 and 29, and my oldest son's wife) and all carry C-cards. Damn, when we all get togeather to dive I'm expected to pay and it's killing me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom