Chiari I malformation with symptoms and no repair yet- can I dive?

Should I dive

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Yes but only to certain depth

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with @rsingler as well. Valerie, another consideration is that ICP increases with increased ambient pressure, and cerebral perfusion increases with immersion. I would recommend you refrain from diving until this is sorted out. Where in Washington are you? There's a topnotch diving physician in Seattle I can refer you to; it would be helpful to have him on your care team.

Best regards,
DDM

Thank you. I am in Gig Harbor. I would greatly appreciate the contact of the diving physician in Seattle.
Thank you,
VS

I know nothing about the neurosurgical aspects of ACM, but I would agree with DDM and Rob about the dangers of vertigo and bradycardia with respect to diving.

From an ENT point of view, one other issue is the possibility of bilateral vocal cord paralysis (sometimes associated with ACM). Interestingly, this can be present with a normal voice, and there may be no significant airway obstruction at baseline. But with a small amount of vocal cord swelling, which might happen with barotrauma or pressure changes, you could have a significant airway obstruction at depth, and I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

I'm pretty sure that there is absolutely no real scientific data about diving with ACM. A quick pubmed search returned zero results. You aren't going to find anyone who can "clear" you, but a neurologist or neurosurgeon might give you a better understanding of the specific risks in your particular situation.

What I would NOT do would be to make this decision based on an Internet poll of us randos.

Sorry that you have to deal with this. Be safe!

I know nothing about the neurosurgical aspects of ACM, but I would agree with DDM and Rob about the dangers of vertigo and bradycardia with respect to diving.

From an ENT point of view, one other issue is the possibility of bilateral vocal cord paralysis (sometimes associated with ACM). Interestingly, this can be present with a normal voice, and there may be no significant airway obstruction at baseline. But with a small amount of vocal cord swelling, which might happen with barotrauma or pressure changes, you could have a significant airway obstruction at depth, and I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

I'm pretty sure that there is absolutely no real scientific data about diving with ACM. A quick pubmed search returned zero results. You aren't going to find anyone who can "clear" you, but a neurologist or neurosurgeon might give you a better understanding of the specific risks in your particular situation.

What I would NOT do would be to make this decision based on an Internet poll of us randos.

Sorry that you have to deal with this. Be safe!

Thank you very much. I had never heard of vocal cord paralysis.
VS

PM sent. I cannot give direct advice but if there is danger of passing out in your condition, I would not make any dives until the condition is corrected. You do not want lightheadedness or syncope when diving. It could lead to drowning and its not worth it.

Many neurosugical conditions do not have a cure. Fortunately this one does.

Thank you. I am in Gig Harbor. I would greatly appreciate the contact of the diving physician in Seattle.
Thank you,
VS

PM sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom