Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- Thanks for the comments and I will try and find a pulmonologist that DAN recommends near me and see what my options are, and I know not to use the internet as a doctor.
Please let us know how it goes, fingers crossed for you that it is nothing important.

- Thanks for the comments and I will try and find a pulmonologist that DAN recommends near me and see what my options are, and I know not to use the internet as a doctor.

Oh doctors just love the overnight webMD doctor/patients. But the pulmologist will most likely want to have a PFT (pulmonary function test) lung function test. You may have taken one if you went to a pulmologist to get diagnosed for asthma. You basically breath into a mouthpiece in a sealed telephone box and they measure your lungs.

Typically it can be performed in their office or at a hospital. But that along with chest x-rays should give the doctor a better understanding of your lungs and whether or not diving is safe for you to do.

Hello everyone I am a newly certified diver and I have been having this problem every time I dive, whether that be in a 5ft to 15ft pool, or a 25ft spring. I almost always have chest pain after a few hours or the day after the dives. The first pool dive I did I was very nervous, I do have asthma (Spirometry 88 at rest 93 after 10 minutes of exercise) and I was worried the air in the tank would aggravate my asthma but to my surprise I was fine underwater and was very comfortable underwater. The next day I had tightness in my chest which felt like anxiety pain and it was gone the day after. The next week was still in the 5ft pool and again the next day I had chest tightness. The next few classes I would still have chest pain after the dives but sometimes they would last longer and some would not. My first certification dive in 25ft of a spring the next day I had little to no chest pain and did not change anything from my pool sessions, then the next day was the open water dive at 70ft and I started having chest pain about 2 hours after the dive. I went to my Primary Care Doctor (not a dive doctor) and told them what was going on and they gave me a EKG and a stress test with a chest X-ray and everything came back fine, so they say since it is a new experience for me I might be working muscles I usually don't work out and said I could still dive.

So I know must of you are not doctors but I'm just curious to what you all think, I really love diving but I really would like help figuring this out, or if this has happened to you I'd like to know.

Thank You all for reading

Edit: I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post, this way more responses then I thought I would get! I also am not diving till I get this figured out.

Do you have breathing problems?. Normally under water we have to go through some water pressure and we get used to it after some dives. If the water pressure is irritating you and the chest pain is not going then you might have breathing problem and you should consult a professional and also a doctor to check your breathing rate. This pain goes away after 3 to 4 long dives. If it continues to happen then you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

Do you have breathing problems?. Normally under water we have to go through some water pressure and we get used to it after some dives. If the water pressure is irritating you and the chest pain is not going then you might have breathing problem and you should consult a professional and also a doctor to check your breathing rate. This pain goes away after 3 to 4 long dives. If it continues to happen then you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

- I do have asthma but I don't have breathing problems when I'm underwater just when I surface

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom