Chest hurting a week after a deep dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, well - go consider taking reflux meds before diving. You don't want to choke on your vomit...

A wild shot in the dark and not classic symptoms but with all the negative tests so far...any history/risk factors for gallbladder disease?
Chest pain, gall bladder? I never had it with mine. My mom, then-wife, more recently daughter and even teenage grandson had theirs out too, and I don't remember anyone mentioning chest pains.

Thanks for your comments "Duke Dive Medicine". To clarify the pain - it was more like a squeeze on the lungs which made breathing feel a very slight strain. I had also been suffering from some stomach discomfort which led to reflux. I've suffered from this reflux problem since I've started diving - but the solution was simply to avoid overeating and avoid fried food. But the food that was being served was pretty good so I ate more than I should. I'm not too sure whether that contributed to the overall sense of unwellness but I found myself coughing underwater due to that reflux issue I think.

I should also add that I had my Blood pressure checked after returning back home by a doctor and it was in the normal range.

I also commenced my regular exercise program when I returned home and did not experience any problems.

Nonetheless I'll go get a full checkup. I've got DAN insurance so I'll call up them up to get a medical referral.

Kindness Regards to you.

Okay, well - go consider taking reflux meds before diving. You don't want to choke on your vomit...

Chest pain, gall bladder? I never had it with mine. My mom, then-wife, more recently daughter and even teenage grandson had theirs out too, and I don't remember anyone mentioning chest pains.

i said it was a shot in the dark and I should have also said a long shot but given the negative evaluation thus far, I thought it worth mentioning.

Chest pain can obviously have a number of causes that can be divided into 4 broad categories (not dive related)

1) Heart - MI, pericarditis, aortic dissection

2) Lung - pleurisy, pulmonary embolism, collapsed lung

3) Muscle and Bone - sore muscles, injured ribs, costochondritis

4) GI - heartburn/reflux, esophageal spasms, gallbladder

GI issues are well know to mimic heart attacks. I have known several individuals (including my brother) to go to the ER to rule out MI and later be diagnosed with gall stones.

Some might add a fifth category. Panic attacks.

Edit: i should also add that I only mentioned a few of the possibilities for each category. There are others of course..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom