Chest Discomfort After Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is GERD? The doc said I could either go home and watch it, going to the ER if it got worse or anything else developed, or take a ride in the chamber to see if symptoms disappeared with pressure (and it sounded like even that might not be conclusive. I'm enough days out from the dive that one ride might not help the DCS immediately. Likewise, hyperbaric treatment helps all injuries, and so it might help it even if it isn't DCS). I've opted for the go home and watch it option for now.
GERD. Fancy term for reflux.

Like Jax. My money is on musculoskeletal.

Swallowing air? Were you really burpy after the dives?

New,

This may be musculoskeletal as my cross-town colleague discussed. A chest xray should show mediastinal emphysema (air around the trachea/bronchi as a result of lung barotrauma) and yours was negative, so that's less likely and hyperbaric oxygen would not be indicated for that in any event. Given the information you have provided, watchful waiting with followup as directed by your diving physician seems reasonable.

As an aside, hyperbaric oxygen does not help for all injuries, only those that have a hypoxic component.

Best regards,
DDM

Musculoskeletal pain generally gets worse with movement, less when quiet and rest. DCS hurts even when not moving. One of the ways to distinguish them.
With your health history I feel pretty confident you don't have DCS. You tweaked something. Now it has to heal. Sprains can take awhile no matter where they are.

Back
Top Bottom