Chesapeake Oyster Diving - 21/Dec/2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravisD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have no financial interest in this, other than being signed up to go and wanting to see them fill the trip so the boat will run :)

Atlantic Edge (in Maryland) is running an Oyster Dive on 12/21/2013.

Chesapeake Bay Oyster Diving | Atlantic Edge Dive Center

Oysters do keep a little while so this would be a great Xmas dinner treat. $125, which seems about the going rate. (And you typically leave with a bushel of oysters) I have no idea what boat they use (the one I've done Oyster Diving on previously isn't running this late). I've been hearing reports that the Oysters coming up this year are great.

For those unaware, you basically root around on the oyster beds and collect what you find. The captain checks the catch and divides things equally (at least on the other dives I've done). This tends to turn these into effectively solo dives - once you start stirring things up, vis goes to hell, and you're going to want to split up anyway somewhat to find more oysters. You're in 10-15 feet of water, and naturally this time of year it's gonna be cold :cold:

The only special gear you need is a mesh collection bag. I've seen some folks use multiple bags and a lift bag to extend their collecting time and minimize trips back to the boat to empty.

So, come out and dive so I can get my gear went and collect some yummy snacks :)

Brrr. I'd definitely go (if I could find a rental drysuit) but my SIL will be in town and I'm throwing an ugly sweater party.

I'd like to do one of these eventually!

I did one of these dives.

first and last time I ate oyster.

part of my tip to the captain was a bushel of oysters. . .

the beer was cold afterwards, that is a plus.

Did it last month, but it was only $75. There's another thread a page or two down. Definately worth going as long as you dive dry.

Heading back up to NY for the holidays the day before or I'd be there. I'm not an oyster guy, buy the in-laws are. Maybe next time.

Update: got enough takers, and the trip happened. Weather was clear, but a bit windy (15-20 mph winds).

The haul wasn't great - oysters looked great, but we just didn't get many. Dividing the take, I came home with about 4 dozen. Not sure if it was where we were diving at, inexperienced divers, or just being late in the season (or all of the above).

I saw a low of 38°F water, and vis was about arms length (which is typical for an oyster dive). It was still a good day on the water, and a good excuse to get the gear wet one last time this year.

This is a random question but if I own a boat on the Bay is there any restrictions to season or location of oyster diving? I have literally done 0 research into this so if there is a DNR site or something that would also help. But I cam across the topic and thought about doing it for possibly free and wanted to know if anyone had any information. Thanks!

There was a map to the locations that cannot be used. That was very helpful, Thanks!

On the trips I've taken, the main things seem to be the 3" limit (have a gauge/hammer), have to chip off all the spat/etc; 1bu/person limit, and off the water by noon. This was for recreational oystering, obviously the commercial guys are different.

Let me know if you need some passengers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom