Cherokee Sink - 4/30/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Against my better judgement, I went with a few friends to dive Cherokee sink south of Tallahassee, next to Wakulla Spring. I wasnt optamistic since it had been raining a lot, however, arriving at the sink, it looked ok. The water had a deep blue color to it, and surface viz looked about 10ft.

We went ahead and jumped in, and surface temp was about 70f. Sine viz was low, I followed a log down to the bottom then set off to circle the 400ft basin. Depth on the west side was about 50ft, and temp dropped to 65f at the bottom. As usual, trees, beer bottles, and misc trash dotted the muddy bottom, with the odd bream also trying to find its way through the gloom.

We made our way slowly around the east side and then along the south side where the cave starts. I found the line leading into the cave, but decided not to go in, since I am told the entrance is tight and very silty. At some point a freshwater eel decided to come see if we were edible and freaked us out a bit. But he went away, drifting off into the dark. We proceeded around the basin to the deep part on the east side, which goes down to 70+ft, and evenutally came back to our starting point. It had begun to pour down rain, which made for a dismal degearing, but all in all it was a succesful dive.

30mins at max depth of 65ft.

More info from my page on this site.

May not have been the best dive, but atleast you got wet :) I still wouldn't mind trying that place out as well.

Its a spooky dive, and not one of my favorties, but its the closest public dive to town. I think my Scuba Club is going to have a cleanup day there. Ill keep yall informed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom