Checklists in Rebreather Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always had good results with DGX sensors too. Where were you buying the bogus sensors from?
I received them with my unit. I did get replacements, but those failed too. I had other experienced rebreather divers check what I was doing. Switching to DGX O2 sensors and όλα καλά (all good).

If I was standing on a bridge, I would have hucked my P2 over the side.

EDIT: They were AST sensors. That's what prompted me starting this thread: Best sources for O2 sensors?

I was incredibly frustrated. I'm going back to do a refresher if I can with Craig at Silent World.

Have created my own checklist for the Revo R19 (Petrel controller + Nerd backup). Print double sided two per page.

Has space to write down target site+depth, cell millivolts, calibration millivolts, tank pressures, attached weight, gas analysis, remaining scrubber duration, etc. Still use it for every build as I’ve a history of what’s happened, cells replaced, oddities, etc.

Thank you. I've been saying for years prebreathing is BS. I don't think it gives me any metric of importance. (I"m sure somebody will disagree and I don't care).
Pre-jump, you pre-breathe the Revo until the RMS shows 45 minutes or more. This shows the scrubbers are warming up and you have at least 45 mins remaining.

Only takes a couple of mins. Time enough to put your drygloves on.

Pre-jump, you pre-breathe the Revo until the RMS shows 45 minutes or more. This shows the scrubbers are warming up and you have at least 45 mins remaining.

Only takes a couple of mins. Time enough to put your drygloves on.
Ahh, a revo thing. I was taught to prebreathe on other ccrs. I dont find it important
e.

EDIT: They were AST sensors. That's what prompted me starting this thread: Best sources for O2 sensors?

I was incredibly frustrated. I'm going back to do a refresher if I can with Craig at Silent World.
AST sensors are the worst. I've never gotten a good one. Even from the "fixed" batch. They will make you want to rip your hair out

It seems that rEvo is a bit more diligent about using and promoting checklists than other rebreathers. Diving with others on other units and they don't seem to be following a checklist.
When people are diving with me or off my boat I make them run through a CCR splash list regardless of who they are, level of experience etc, a final check that computers on, gas on etc, last thing before rolling over the side.
I don't want anyone dying on me because of a stupid easily avoidable mistake.

CCR Splash Checklist.jpg

Don't be afraid to ask your fellow CCR divers about it. What are they checking for? Are they missing or skipping anything? The checklists for their rebreathers are probably easily obtained.

Everything is on there for a reason. When going through it I think about the reason why each item is there, what problems it prevents.

Don't just memorize it, glance through the actual written checklist. That is the point.

Checklist system was introduced for pilots and surgeons, these are very very smart people who still miss things.

I compressed and re-printed my checklist (much fewer words!) on hand-sized pieces of paper and laminated with packing tape.

Yes pre-breathe before entering the water, you need to know that a safe ppO2 is being maintained by the solenoid or orifice or whatever.

Studies showed many divers unknowingly failed to notice bad (or no) absorbent during a 5 minute pre-breathe.

I keep my pre-jump checklist in my head. In essence it’s a Catholic's "Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch" check:
  • Hood, mask, gloves, fins
  • Drysuit dump open, drysuit inflate (hiss)
  • Wing inflate test — proves diluent is on and you’ve buoyancy when jumping in
  • Dil inflate (hiss), oxygen inflate (PPO2 above 0.7) — proves you can breathe when jumping in

If there is anything I have learned from training and reading about checklists, it's that they should be custom and personalized or eventually you stop paying attention. My build list is fully custom, short, and focuses on items I tend to breez past. I've written an Android app that allows me to create checklists that are modifiable on the fly in case I need to adjust something without losing my position.

Additionally I believe the closer the checklist is to the dive the more important it is. So the jump list is most critical and should catch any life threatening build issues.
PXL_20230520_124724072.jpg

Dear All,
I'm quite a Newbie in RB diving and own a rEvo. rEvo has 3 checklists:

So I was wondering how you do see this? Thanks!

Keep following the checklists. In addition to what is on the revo build checklists, you may want to note MV in air, note MV in 100% O2 (during calibration) and check for linearity (i.e. MV Air x 1/.21 = MVO2). Also if you note the MV during the neg, its easier to see if the neg is working than just relying on a woosh sound at the end of 2 minutes.

The tempsticks in the revo are good and its reassuring to see the remaining scrubber time, during the pre-breath. During the build you can see that the tempsticks are seated properly, by going to scrubber and then temperature.

Keep doing the pre-jump checks ... I won't tell you the times I've read the checklist and skipped a step accidently, to my shock. SO if you can do it with a buddy its even better.

Good to see you taking it seriously, dont worry about what other people do on other units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom