Checking Regulator on Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
I have heard that you should not check your regulator when flying (should carry it on).

Is this because of risk of theft or because of potential damage to the regulator?

Is it as important on your return flight (since you have already done your diving) as it is on your outbound flight (where you will need it for diving the next day)?

Dave

my reg goes in my carry on, with my computer, for both theft and damage. fins, wetsuits? you can rent those, but you know your own reg is cared for, not some rental you don't trust.

Mine go carry on both ways, i'm usually diving again pretty soon after getting back from vacation, so why risk it?

mossym:
my reg goes in my carry on, with my computer, for both theft and damage. fins, wetsuits? you can rent those, but you know your own reg is cared for, not some rental you don't trust.

That's pretty much it. There are no rules against carrying it/them on.

I only check easily replacable things.

If my other stuff gets stolen, I can walk into a shop and buy a new mask/bc/fins/etc. and send the bill to the insurance company, but I can't buy a computer that already has my dives in it, or regs that are already tuned and known good.

Also, I would suspect it's harder for an inspector to sneak a pair of 2' blinding yellow fins than a small gray computer out of the airport..

Terry

I have been pulled out of line and made to retrieve my checked luggage so I could put my reg in it. They did not take it planeside, they actually made me go back to the ticket counter. This has happened to me more than once. They told me it was a blunt object and I was not allowed to carry it on the plane.
If I can get through security with it, though, I take it with me.

SueMermaid:
I have been pulled out of line and made to retrieve my checked luggage so I could put my reg in it. They did not take it planeside, they actually made me go back to the ticket counter. This has happened to me more than once. They told me it was a blunt object and I was not allowed to carry it on the plane.

That is bizare! A lap top is a blunt instrument but I don't think they will be stopping anyone.
Personally I check the above mention items for pretty much the same reason. Though I have been known to check the comp on the return flight. I someone steals it then the insurance will be paying for a new one. I usually paper log my important dives before ever leaving, or in the car on the way back.

Print this out and bring it with you:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

The important part is:""Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage."

Terry

SueMermaid:

I don't think arguing with a TSA person is generally a good idea. :)

I would check my mother into baggage before my ADS. Not only stolen but handled roughly or lost. It would suck to get to your tropical dive vacation and your reg is sunning and funning in Buffalo!

SueMermaid:
I don't think arguing with a TSA person is generally a good idea. :)

You could nicely tell them that the TSA specifically allows you to bring your reg on the plane.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom