Check your mouth piece!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the ziptie came loose allowing the mouth piece to come off?

Ive had an instance were I bit thru the mouthpiece due to the water being so cold. So I agree check it not only for being on but also is it chewed apart.

Wristshot:
You don't have a spare mouthpiece and ziptie in your gear bag? (otherwise what would be the difference if it happened now or on Holiday?)

However, your advice is still very good.

Wristshot

I really like your hood!

I've had that happen a few times over the years....but actually never swallowed any water....as soon as I began inhaling, the density difference of the water let me know that "something" was wrong, and I stopped inhaling. Actually, most mouthpieces fit fairly tightly even without a ziptie, so I just put it back together & continued the dive. (got a new ziptie later) I guess I wouldn't really recommend doing that, if you're at all concerned about it happening again...could always use your octo instead, but then you'd be without a completely reliable alt. air for the rest of the dive.

I had another funny thing along the same line happen to me once....my mask suddenly flooded & I tried to clear it. I COULD NOT clear it, and I NEVER have any problem with that, or swimming without the mask, etc. Took me a second to figure out what had happened....one of the mask LENSES had fallen out, ha ha. Pretty hard to clear in that situation!

The same thing happened on my last confined water dive. I was removing and replacing the BC and the tank was allmost empty so it was trying to float and pulled the mouthpeice out of the regulator. I just switched to the octo and put the BC back on and finished my skills. I was surprised that I was so calm, I guess thats what the training is for. :D

John

That happened to me on my first cert dive also. I was in a quarry in 20 ft of water and noticed I couldn't breath without sucking in a lot of water. My mask kept me from seeing what actually happened, so I assumed I had flooded my reg somehow. I hit what I thought was the purge button, but nothing happened. The dive master candidate on the dive noticed what had happened and motioned to me, in no uncertian terms, to grab my octo. When I did, the mouthpiece fell out of my mouth and I realized the truth! I coughed a few times and then was ok. That soured me a little on rental gear, but I still need to depend on it sometimes. I double check these days.

Bottom line, this is why you take those classes, so you don't panic in those situations. I also carry around an extra mouth piece and plastic ties as well! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom