Check out dives!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaffphine

Reaction score
First off, yes the thread title is misleading. They were checkout dives, but not mine.

Yesterday, I had one very long diving day two quarries, three dives and 14 hours. But I enjoyed every minute of it, except for seven (more on that later). First two were the checkout dives, three students in the class. I dive with this particular instructor all the time, and he asked me to tag along... sure, diving's better that sleeping in on a Sat mornging. Since I'm not a divemaster I was limited in what I could do to help him. Basicly he wanted me pushing students back on the platform, grabbing the missle impersonaters, and on the second be a tired diver two dummy (I had sooo much fun with this one!) and be a buddy for the buddy skills... three students don't pair off well. They did really great! For the tired diver tow. He goes around to grab my value, I almost completely deflate my BC and put my reg in my mouth and wait! (I was instructed to be as dum as I wanted) He wasn't figureing it out. So I ask him, 'are you inflated?' 'yea' 'am I inflated?' 'I don't know' 'did you ask?' 'no' pause 'are you inflated?' 'no' 'would you do that?' They did really awesome, at some point between the two dives I was close enough to get a good look at their big eyes. Afterwards, when I was getting my first pay for diving (free tanks for my diving that evening) he pulled me aside ''yea, you need to do dive master'.

The second quarry was a dive then wine&cheese party, I ended up diving with someone who before we got in water I knew he didn't get to dive often, hasn't been diving long and didn't know the quarry well. Ok, that's fine I got lead. I was almost ready to call the dive on the platform. The water's 50F and he's in a drysuit. He's sliding around the platform, haveing all kinds of problems. Ok he doesn't often, give him a few mins to get adjusted. That happens I'm looking at him and somethings's wrong. He's not wearing any gloves!!! I point to his hands, he doesn't get it. So I tell him, look at my hands, look at yours, you ok with your hands? After that he HAS to know he doesn't have gloves on. After the dive, "wow, 40 mins no gloves" "Yea I noticed that about 10 mins into the dive' !!! ten mins, you five mins after I was point at your hand! That was one of those were you gain a appreaication of those you dive with regually.

Dive master was something that 'yea, probably do that sometime', after this morning that might be happening sooner. I had given one of them a tip of getting fins on at this quarry (tree stump) he kinda blew me off, no big deal, and another added "yea, listen to her you forefathers won't lead you wrong' Ah!! I mostly dive with those more experinced that myself, switching shoes is soooo weird!!!

its awesome how wise you get when you have been diving a while compared to the newbies. Good luck on your divemastership

scuberd- "Good luck on your divemastership"

I'm not doing that right away, but probably within the next year. I need to work on my nav, not my strong suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom