Check-out dives on East End not recommended?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sixgears

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are already booked for our check-out dives with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman's East End. We were talking to our LDS about it and they recommended against doing our check-outs at that location. They said nothing but great things regarding the operation at Ocean Frontiers but their main concern was for two beginners doing diving in a more "aggressive" area. I'm only guessing that the East End isn't the most calm area to dive on the island.

Feel free to chime in.

The East End of Grand Cayman was one of the first places I dived after getting certified, and I know 4 people who did their check-out dives there. You'll be fine. Your instructor will choose locations suitable for your dives. Conditions can change daily no matter where you go. There is no dive destination that can guarantee you calm seas and perfect conditions every day. No matter where you go, you'll have days that are like a bath tub and others that are not. East End, in the several trips I've made there, has been no better or worse conditions wise overall then most other Caribbean destinations I've been to. And it's some of the best Caribbean diving you'll find, so, go and enjoy it.

The East End of Grand Cayman was one of the first places I dived after getting certified, and I know 4 people who did their check-out dives there. You'll be fine. Your instructor will choose locations suitable for your dives. Conditions can change daily no matter where you go. There is no dive destination that can guarantee you calm seas and perfect conditions every day. No matter where you go, you'll have days that are like a bath tub and others that are not. East End, in the several trips I've made there, has been no better or worse conditions wise overall then most other Caribbean destinations I've been to. And it's some of the best Caribbean diving you'll find, so, go and enjoy it.

Thanks. I was just concerned specially for my wife. The way I look at it any reputable dive op will not put its students in harms way. And you are correct in saying that diving conditions are not always optimal so we might as well face the music. The worst that can probably happen is we don't dive unless we're both comfortable. :D

It is true that the East End is more subject to wind than the rest of the Island. However, as you say, the Instructor will be well aware of the wind issue and will not allow you to dive in conditions which are dangerous (for you).

Here's my East End HD Video Dive Report

Grand Cayman East End Dive Report on Vimeo

I dove with Ocean Frontiers about a month ago and thought they were a very good operation. The only really minor complaint I had is a pet peeve of mine, they were too aggressive with customer service and wanted to set my equipment up. I shooed them away a couple times as I do that myself. Still other people may be glad to have them do that, so different strokes for different folks. I think this just shows the level of customer care that they strive to practice.

Their number is listed on their website. I called them before we went just to find out about their operation, shuttle service, and dive times. You could call them, ask them questions, and discuss your concerns.

Above all, have a great trip and enjoy!

Add another reassurance about OF. They will support, encourage and coach you, but will not push past your comfort.

We certified in Michigan in the spring of '98 and did our first tropical dives with them that fall. It was fabulous. We keep gpijng back to GCM and always love diving with OF, they are like diving with family.

Enjoy,
DS

Back
Top Bottom