Check dives, private DMs, and local/shop policies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our first trip to Coz my wife was a little nervous about the possible stronger current drift diving so we arranged with Christi for the first day to have a private DM for the two of us. It worked out so well we used him again the second day. Even though Christi runs nice 6 pack boats so always a small group it was sort of fun just having the two of us with the DM. It amazes me that people will spend $1,000-$2,000 pp for a dive week (air, lodging, food & diving) but then balk at paying $50 for a private DM.

From my website:
New Divers and Junior Divers:
We reserve the right to require a private divemaster for the first day (and subsequent days if necessary) OR a refresher dive with an instructor at the diver’s expense if:

• A diver has not made a dive in more than 18 months
  • a new diver with less than 10 ocean drift dives
  • a nervous diver needing special attention
  • a diver cannot maintain a safety stop at 15ft on his/her own without assistance
Per local marine park regulations, all dives must be guided by a local divemaster or instructor and the dive groups must stay together at all times. The depth limitations for Junior divers under the age of 15 cannot be imposed on the entire group, therefore a private divemaster is required for Junior Divers (12 to 14 years old) at the divers expense. Again, we stress that this policy is for the safety and enjoyment of all divers on board. Exceptions to this may be made if your group fills the boat (5 to 6 divers) and agrees to a 60 foot maximum depth or if the diver holds a Junior advanced open water certification.

It should be noted, Christi, that the limitations are your limitations, not PADI's. (To which you are completely, and absolutely entitled.) I am unfamiliar with NAUI's regulations.

I did my open water cert dives in Cozumel and even after those and being told by the instructor I was fine I hired a private DM for the first 2 days of diving. It is a pretty minimal expense to make a newbie feel comfortable in the water and get a few pointers.

Last February my wife and I did our first post OW certification dives in Cozumel. (I dove decades ago, so I considered this go-'round a re-set.) Based on recommendations from those here on the Coz Forum, we hired a private DM for the first few days, it was money well spent.

It should be noted, Christi, that the limitations are your limitations, not PADI's. (To which you are completely, and absolutely entitled.) I am unfamiliar with NAUI's regulations.

Yes, you are technically correct.

I've maintained the old standards and feel good about it. THe standards DO actually say that they *Jr. Divers) must dive with an adult diver after certification. I make exceptions to this policy on a case by case basis as well depending on the Jr Divers dive history, the parents history, how well do WE know them as divers, etc. For example, we have a now 14 (almost 15) year old that certified at 12 with us. His parents have been diving with us for 7 years, two to three times per year. The child has been diving the past 5 trips with them and the trip prior to that was his certification trip. The parents voluntarily hired a private DM for him the first trip for the dives he did the week following his certification, and for the following trip. The third trip, which was only 6 months after the prior trip - we put a private DM with him for the first dive day, and the rest of the trip he dove with his parents. This how each trip goes now - with the exception of the last trip! He had a DM the first day, did great - so the second day he was with his parents. He "acted up" during the dive and kept swimming away from the group - he was with a private DM the rest of the trip = his parents supported and encouraged this as well.

Every kid is different and matures differently. If they have the time in the water and demonstrate responsible diving - we have no problem allowing them to dive with their parents as the "adult diver." If the parents are also novice divers and/or we do not have a diving history with them - then we will insist on the private DM for the child for at least the first day or two to evaluate the situation.

Again, this is not only for the safety and enjoyment of the particular diver - but also for the other paying divers on the boat!

Your decision ... but to my concern, Aldora's policy is completely reasonable.

My one and only trip to Cozumel was with Aldora. At the time I had over 1700 dives ... more than sufficient to be considered experienced ... and didn't feel the least bit put out by their policy to do the first dive in a non-threatening location. In fact it was a nice, relaxing way to start the week ... and far more fun and reasonable than some of the "checkout dives" I've been required to do at other locales around the world.

Aldora is a great op ... small boats, steel 120 tanks, and very good dive guides. If I ever return to Coz, they'd be the first op I'd look into diving with.

YMMV ... but I'll never fault a dive op for thinking first of the safety of their guests. I didn't, in the least, find their policy limiting or patronizing to a more experienced diver ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe you should have paid for a private DM... It is only 50 or $60 and then you could have dived where you want?

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 04:26 PM ----------

I did my open water cert dives in Cozumel and even after those and being told by the instructor I was fine I hired a private DM for the first 2 days of diving. It is a pretty minimal expense to make a newbie feel comfortable in the water and get a few pointers.

I think that is a very smart choice. Having a professional and qualified DM who knows the dives accompany you can make the dives so much more relaxing and enjoyable (and safer too). Absolutely worth the expense for many people. Maybe as the certification standards continue to fall, this operator will require ALL people to simply pay for a personal DM on their first dive...

NAUI places a number of restrictions on Junior OW divers, including a depth limit of 40 feet and a stipulation that they must either dive with a parent or someone designated by a parent.

It should be noted, however, that agency restrictions are only enforceable during class. After class, the agency will not revoke your certification if you choose to break those limits. Therefore, it isn't just a dive op's entitlement ... but their duty ... to set their own dive limitations on their clients as they see fit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe you should have paid for a private DM... It is only 50 or $60 and then you could have dived where you want?

Well, pretty much anywhere in the world if you want to dive where you want, you also have to pay for the entire boat. Or show up with enough people to fill it. And sacrifice a goat to the weather and sea gods.

This is getting tiresome and clearly you're not interested in listening to actual experiences rather than your uninformed presumption of what happens.

I didn't need one ... the "checkout" dive was so enjoyable we asked to go back to the same site later in the week for a night dive.

There are many dive ops to choose from. You choose them based on your own preferences of their policies. What I liked most about Aldora is that none of our dives were limited by one member's lack of experience. We basically had a boat full of completely compatible divers ... and with a small group and large tanks we got the most out of our available dive time.

At no time did I ever feel "nannied" ... and I can't say that about all the places I've gone for a dive vacation ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom