Cheapest Warm Water Trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheap and easy: drive to Destin, FL, and dive in the Gulf. Great reefs and a few wrecks.

theskull

If you go to Destin, I can highly recommend either Sand Dollar Charter, if you have a small group, or Scuba Tech. Both run a very good dive charter.

Destin is great, but accomadations aren't cheap. compared to other nearby places. Of course they are still much cheaper than Grand Cayman or BVI for example. You can get a 1 BR condo in Destin for about $165 in May. hotels aren't much cheaper so go ahead and get a condo where you'll have a kitchen, living room, etc. June and after expect to pay $200 to $225 for the same condo (per night).

You can stay cheaper in places like Panama City, Ft. Walton, Pensacola, or Gulf Shores. Most of the diving is man made objects, like shipwrecks, sunken barges or bridge spans or other stuff. For example in Gulf Shores you can get a 2br condo during June/July/August for around $100-$120/night. Of course Destin has beter beaches, better shopping, better water, better restaurants, etc. Most of the divers in this area still head primaryily to Panama City, based on more dive operators and more wrecks.

If you don't stay on the beach in the other areas it's not too pricey. Only saying this because you said "cheap". Now the diving is better in the Keys for sure though, and I think the diving is a little cheaper also, but it's also a much further drive for you.

One word of warning, stay away from Panama City during Spring Break or the first week or so of June after school lets out. It then becomes the "redneck riviera"

Come to Panama City Beach it SOOO much cheaper than Destin. You can dive the PCB jetties, then drive over to Morrison Springs (free), Cypress Springs and Vortex Springs all are about an hour's drive from here. You'll have to rent a canoe and paddle up to dive Cypress but it's always clear and it's really beautiful. The spring breakers aren't diving! You can stay cheaper in Panama City (not out at the beach) if your looking for economy. It's about a 20 minute drive to the beach from the La Quinta on 231. The rednecks are just pure (FREE) entertainment. Sit back and watch the show!

I just booked air fare to Ft. Lauderdale for $180 each round trip. I got use of a condo for 4 people the my aunt's time share for $149 for the week. I have a friend and his wife wanting to drive down so no need for rental car except for 1 or 2 days. I would call that a Cheap trip. Now I just got to get my dive plans sorted out.

If you can find a friend or family member with a time share that is the best way to go. Usually if they have an extra week they didn't use then it is the $149 other wise it is about $250. Still not bad for a week long trip expecially when you could spit it with 2-4 other divers

cmcarver:
I just booked air fare to Ft. Lauderdale for $180 each round trip. I got use of a condo for 4 people the my aunt's time share for $149 for the week. I have a friend and his wife wanting to drive down so no need for rental car except for 1 or 2 days. I would call that a Cheap trip. Now I just got to get my dive plans sorted out.

Now that's what I call a cheap dive trip!!!!!!!!! :crafty: Enjoy the trip and the diving.

Will you be beach diving or boat diving?

I plan on 4-6 boat trips and then what ever I can get for shore dives are a plus. I am looking to find a good shore dive. I will probably do a couple from where the condo is in Delray beach. That should also get the girlfriend ready for ocean dives.

kent_1848:
Yeah, there are a bunch of people from KC doing the trip there, unfortunately I was too late to get in on the trip. I hear it is fantastic though, maybe I will get on the trip next year.

If you wanted to do a weekend trip and could fly, a LDS (DFW) goes to the flower gardens in the gulf regularly. I am sure ya'll could tag along.. I plan on going one of these weekend this summer.

www.surfaceintervalscuba.com

Out of curiosity I checked out that Flower gardens link above. there they have links to Boat operators that run there. On one of the boat operator sites, they have a calendar of the dive shops that have them booked. You can contact one of those shops and get in on their trip. Apparently they 'wholesale' the space to the LDS and the LDS can sell it at a markup. I saw some selling weekend trips for $420, others selling the same weekend for $380. It appeared that the Houston and South Texas shops tended to have cheaper rates. This looks like the cheapest/closest warm water trip for me since I can drive to Houston in 7 hours.

Going to Cozumel this weekend. Got my airfare through funjet vacations for 199. Hotel and Diving through Villa Blanca and Papa Hogs for 299 per person(also includes breakfast daily. We Fly out of DFW friday morning dive Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and fly back into DFW Monday afternoon. Add about $100 per person for taxes and transfers. Total Cost around $600 big ones.

Gillty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom