Cheapest place(s) to stay and dive on Bunaken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dread7

New
Reaction score
currently Indonesia (originally Scotland)
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all

Will arrive in Manado in a few days and really want to dive Bunaken but my dwindling budget means can probably only afford 2 nights out there and one day diving.

Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to dive with and also the cheapest place to stay (I guess these might not be the same place...)??

More than happy with cold showers/bak-mandi and very basic accom if it means I can afford more dives. Hell I even have my tent if anyone will let me camp for a cheaper rate...

Thanks for any info

Robin

PS- if you only had one day there which sites would you recommend as must-dives?

I dived with TwoFishDivers (not in Bunaken though but in Lembeh, they have a dive shop in both locations), good value for money. According to the research I had done before, they are, or better were at that time (May 08) the best budget option.

A budget accomodation place in Bunaken is Lorenzo II (located in between the dive shops 2FishDivers and Living Colours. It's basic, but very nice food (fresh fish etc.) and nice atmosphere. Lorenzo has a website, unfortunately I don't remember it exactly, but with a search machine you'll surely find it..

Enjoy!!

In the off season it is generally no problem to stay at an accommodation only place and walk over to a resort that offers diving, but not during peak season when the diving resort will be full with their won divers. Always best to check to see they can take you at the dive place. Two Fish does have a few budget rooms in both locations.

I've been at TwoFishDivers.com, both Lembeh and Bunaken. Both are fine, and as cheap as I've seen here. If you do at Lembeh, Opo is maybe the best guide in the area.

Would stay on Bunaken, not in Manado. Too much time doing the boat crossings. In gerneral, where you stay and where you dive are the same place.

I've been there twice. The cheapest places to stay were actually down in the town & very basic. Just take the public boat over there in the morning and walk around - a few of the smaller shops have little rooms that go for cheap but might be next to a compressor.

Lorenzo II is really the nicest cheap place $18 per night including food for a sweet bungalow with hammock.

Dive shop prices vary too. Just be careful. IMO Two Fish/Living Colors are the most professional shops but you can find cheaper diving. Also snorkling is quite nice just off shore and might be a nice option.

In Lembeh now. At dinner, met diver who just came over from Bunaken town. Said he stayed at nice litle place just outside of town, on the beach, called MC Homestay. Said they bargained for room, 175,000 rupiah [$17.50 US]. Place not new but their dive facility is only few weeks old, all new equipment there. Must be ok with saltwater showers though.

Also, another place in town, but I forgot name.

I am planning to be in Bunaken this December. Thinking of staying in Bunaken, but would also like to have my dinner in Manado on some nights. Does anyone know the schedule and price for the bunaken-manado public boats? Could I do what I want?

Hi and Thanks for the info everyone.

As our trip co-incided with Idul Fitri holidays it was very busy, cheapest place we could find that still had dive slots free was Living Colours, very nice guys to dive with, nice resort good equipment and the cheapest possibility for us with other places fully booked up. Accom was all full, even at Lorenzo's, we could have got homestay place in the main village but Living Colours let us camp on the floor of the dive shop so this worked out great (and cheaper) for us!

To YS - the public boats leave Manado around 2-3pm each day and cross to the island. They go from Bunaken to Manado in the morning, around 8am i think. This is service aimed for the locals to go to the market/shops in Manado so doesnt really work for what you want...
If want to spend the evening in Manado you will pretty much have to stay there overnight too and come back early am with a charter.

Back
Top Bottom