Cheapest dive trip possible

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airbnb is a great way to find affordable accommodation around the world. I have used it several times and i've always been happy.

It's a service where individual people can rent out their backyard lodges, summer cottages or spare rooms.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Airbnb is a great way to find affordable accommodation around the world. I have used it several times and i've always been happy.

It's a service where individual people can rent out their backyard lodges, summer cottages or spare rooms.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

I took a look and found a bunch of interesting places on Key Largo as well as Bonaire. Thanks Mikko!

There is a person on Couchsurfing with 2 couches so that would be free accommodation. She is located at mile marker 102 in Key Largo, is that a good spot?

When you talk about $35 camp sites, is that per car or what? I've done all my traveling in South America and am used to staying in hostels for as cheap as $7 or paying max$5 for campsites, so this is all super expensive to me.

It seems like a car is somewhat necessary, and I can't find a place that rents cars to people under 21.

Maybe it would better to go somewhere like Utila. Flights are almost triple but diving and food/accomadation would be much cheaper so they end up being somewhat even.

There is a person on Couchsurfing with 2 couches so that would be free accommodation. She is located at mile marker 102 in Key Largo, is that a good spot?

When you talk about $35 camp sites, is that per car or what? I've done all my traveling in South America and am used to staying in hostels for as cheap as $7 or paying max$5 for campsites, so this is all super expensive to me.

It seems like a car is somewhat necessary, and I can't find a place that rents cars to people under 21.

Maybe it would better to go somewhere like Utila. Flights are almost triple but diving and food/accomadation would be much cheaper so they end up being somewhat even.

Mile Marker 102 is near the land entrance to Pennnekamp visitor center with a small beach, aquarium, camping, diveboat, snorkelboat, kayak rental, snackbar, etc. Rainbow Reef's boats are at MM100-2 miles south.

Most of the state parks allow 2 vehicles per camp site. $35 might sound expensive by south american standards but compared to many KOA's & some other private camp grounds: it is cheap: especially considering you're basically sleeping next to tbe ocean and have beautful sunrises or sunsets. Most of the sites have electric and water hook ups too.

Another thought struck me: Captain's Corner in Key West has a bunk house located by the shop and close to their boat. Key West is very walkable and you don't need a car to get around. You'd probably end up diving a few sites on consecutive days (Cap't Corner does a double dip on the Vandenberg most mornings). it'd be worth a call to the shop if your still considering the keys.

Hungry Pelican has decent rooms for under $100/night. They are next to Mrs. Macs, so you could walk to Rainbow or any of those other dive shops. Horizon Divers will store your dive gear so you don't need to carry back and forth to the hotel.

Looe Key Dive Resort is also cheap down in Big Pine Key. For non diving days, there is a shuttle that will take you to Key West.

I got an email add for Holiday Isle offering $99 rooms during weekdays in December (I think its called Postcard Inn now). That is down Islamorada ways.

As you can guess, I plan to spend a week in December with some use-or-lose vacation time. I'm looking at cheap too - either riding a motorcycle (really cheap) or driving from Washington DC area. I'll probably be staying at all those places with a few nights in Key West.

Price Roatan first, Utila costs several hundred more typically since access is somewhat limited to local flights from either Roatan or San Pedro Sula/La Ceiba or expensive boat rides from Roatan's West End. If you read about the Princess Ferry - afaik it's still in drydock.

Stay in the West End - there's two hostels, Chillies or Buena Onda. Food is cheap - from street vendors to decent meals in the $10-15 range. Two chickens at Rotisserie Chicken cost me $22. Noodles Factory was $5 for lunch. Sundowners has sandwiches for $6-8 beachfront. There's two smaller markets in the West End for staples. Larger markets are in Coxen Hole or French Harbour - probably $20 via cab - negotiate... My friends rented a cabin with a kitchen at Coconut Tree and we found everything we needed for breakfast/snacks locally - we ate all other meals out.

Dives are 10/$300 most places - $40 per night dive. Chillies is affiliated with Native Sons - we used Coconut Tree Divers next door. They have a good general West End info page here: Roatán, West End | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

It's $25 (fixed) for a cab from the airport to the West End. Local rides are negotiable. I paid $15 once to Coxen Hole (about the same distance) and $6 to Anthony's Key to dolphin dive. We didn't spend $100 all week on cab rides and there were 7 of us. You can also rent scooters in the West End - or bikes. No one really drives though due to the liability issues. The West End is only about a mile+ long so you can walk everywhere - we did. All the nightlife and most of the restaurants are in that area also.

Some other good operators - West End Divers, Reef Gliders, Sueno Del Mar - probably a dozen more within walking distance. Not a lot of shore diving though - 6 of 9 of these are off private property. #'s 8-9 would be walking from the West End: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Honduras, Roatan, Caribbean

There's no shore diving on Utila accessible from town afaik - most of the shops/hostels/hotels are off the port in town. The three AI's all have shore dives but are private and across the lagoon channel. On your budget - out of reach. IDK what dives cost on Utila since we stayed at an AI.

Considered Cozumel? It's high on my list of cheap places to fly to for a week of diving. Do the bag drag from Cancun to save even more. Some friends stayed at Villablanca Garden outside of town (2mi.) for $700/wk. - lodging and 10 boat dives. Maybe with breakfast. There's an average shore dive in rubble just off the property. Plus 3 dive ops within walking distance.

Last edited:
You heard many things where to go in Florida. East coast of Florida you can't beat . From Jupiter to Ft. Lauderdale by the sea is great !!
But pick a good charter in open water . This could make or brake your vacation . If I can help on charters E-Mail me ..For shore diving Lauderdale By The Sea is the place to go ..........
scubadmike@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom