cheap insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cummings66:
In our 37 degree water a 200 weight fleece garment if comfortable for me, but why would it not be there? Is your water that much colder?
That is extremely surprising to me. My personal limits for fleece fall at around 50 degrees for a 30-minute exposure, and most people I've talked to who have tried more insulations that just fleece tend to agree.

My opinion is that there is no way to stay sufficiently warm in 37 degree water with 200 weight fleece unless you have a very large amount of natural insulation.

My experience is that those people who claim to be warm in 200-weight fleece in 40 degree water are really mildly hypothermic within 20 minutes, and they think that's OK for various reasons.. usually to justify their resistance to spending a larger amount of money on a proper undergarment.

I used to do that.

Different strokes,,, I dive a 300 polartec I bought off ebay. Custom made for about 170 bucks. I dive it in a DUI shell suit, in water as cold as 36D-F. And am perfectly comfortable.

dbg40:
Different strokes,,, I dive a 300 polartec I bought off ebay. Custom made for about 170 bucks. I dive it in a DUI shell suit, in water as cold as 36D-F. And am perfectly comfortable.

Dave.... You are good in shape....

But, I don't get 200g fleece at 37F water.. I am also a hard core for the cold water, but I had to call the second dive with 300g fleece at the local quarry, 39F and 45 min bottom time... Yeah, I still had 1500 psi.....:wink:

HA!!.. Generally, im with ya on this one! 200 to me is a little too much (little) for these old bones!! My only point was, it seems that some divers can well tollerate more extreme temps than others with no ill effects. Them Quarries are tough aint they? It's my hands that quit on me. the rest is fine, someday,, when im rich, maybe i'll go to dry gloves!

dbg40:
It's my hands that quit on me. the rest is fine, someday,, when im rich, maybe i'll go to dry gloves!

Dry glove.... You know you can get dry glove set up at $18...... again, $18. It works great.....

?? The neo. ones with the fold down collar?

$150 gets you a set of the nice blue dry gloves with rings. Replacement gloves are less than $10.

jonnythan:
$150 gets you a set of the nice blue dry gloves with rings. Replacement gloves are less than $10.

Nah~~~~this time..

Dave,

Check out this

I also have Viking dry glove ring system though. This DIY works very well...:wink:

??!! Huh, Never heard of these things before. Do they work worth a damn? are they rough on the suit seals?

dbg40:
??!! Huh, Never heard of these things before. Do they work worth a damn? are they rough on the suit seals?

No, the PVC surface is already coated and very smooth so that there is no abrasive surface at all... Yes, the seal is solid enough to hold the seal and glove... I tested and agreesively used the glove in underwater (twisting sleeve and glove, grabbing the underwater objects). No failure point at all... Actually, the ordinary stock design is more rough on the suit seals, such as Viking and OS system, etc....

Back
Top Bottom