cheap halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2scuba

Reaction score
I live in the New England area. Can someone tell me where I can find Halcyon dealers or internet dealers with reasonable prices. A dealer here wants $500 for the "27lb Pioneer MC System with SS Halcyon backplate" and $100 for "single tank adapter". Does that sound expensive?

Also, I am so new to the backplate and would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

Thanks for all your responses.

on the Deco Stop board. He's selling a complete SS BP/27 wing, MC pack for $425.

Hi cyklon_300

Thanks for your quick response. I am checking out the site. I assume you bought something from the seller and the seller is reliable.

just saw his ad and your post and put the two together...

If his gear is sold, check the Cave Diver Forum and the GUE Used Gear sites...lots of stuff advertised on these sites.

2scuba once bubbled...
I live in the New England area. Can someone tell me where I can find Halcyon dealers or internet dealers with reasonable prices. A dealer here wants $500 for the "27lb Pioneer MC System with SS Halcyon backplate" and $100 for "single tank adapter". Does that sound expensive?

Also, I am so new to the backplate and would appreciate any advice/suggestions.

I have a hard time paying $500-$600 for a BC that doesn't even come assembled.

For example, for around $525, you can buy a ready-to-go ScubaPro Knighthawk, which is a back inflation BC with weight integration pockets, and is designed from the get-go to work with singles without an adaptor. And it will cost less if you bundle your purchase with some other goodies, to help the LDS have an excuse to circumvent the ScubaPro MSRP pricing policies.

For what you objectively get with a Halycon, I'd say that I'd be personally willing to pay no more than $250 for one. YMMV.

Second, while I know that Tek is the hot trend, there's a lot of divers who have dived for a long time without strapping on a set of doubles. If you are thinking about going to doubles, make sure that your back can take the weight without injury, or else your recreational diving hobby will be over.

Third, if you're diving in coldwater, 27lbs of lift is either going to be just barely sufficient, or insufficient. It depends on your individual bodymass, thermal protection and resulting weighting needs, and if you want to be able to have your nose be lifted clear of the water. Personally, I'd recommend at least 35lbs if you have any coldwater diving requirements.

Finally, just because everyone else is fawning over BP/Wings doesn't make this latest dive gimmick the perfect end-all solution for everyone. Over twenty years ago, BP/Wings was one of the more common configurations, and yet they lost market share to normal Jacket style BC's...think that was all marketing hype? Granted, Jackets do generally have problems with chest squeeze and with drysuit hose placement, but they're not uniformly all horrible products as is often intimated by the BP/W followers. Shop around more and don't be brainwashed into assuming that a 27lb Halycon BP/Wings is the only possible product to buy.

-hh

-hh once bubbled...
Third, if you're diving in coldwater, 27lbs of lift is either going to be just barely sufficient, or insufficient. It depends on your individual bodymass, thermal protection and resulting weighting needs, and if you want to be able to have your nose be lifted clear of the water. Personally, I'd recommend at least 35lbs if you have any coldwater diving requirements.
-hh

I'm fairly familiar with New England diving because I live there. I use a Halcyon BP&W for all of my diving, from the Carribean to the St. Lawrence.

Generally, you should not have a problem diving aluminum tanks in a Pioneer 27.

If you're using heavy steels, you should consider a Pioneer 36. The extra lift is just the ticket for tanks such as the new 119's, 130's or, in my case, older HP120's.

That said, I've seen a number of divers using the 27 with steels. I've supervised some of these divers. I have not noticed any problems.

Your shop should assemble the BP&W and fit it to you. This takes about an hour. When I do it, I ask the diver to bring their exposure suit with them so that I can fit the rig while they are wearing the suit. Start to finish takes about an hour, although it can be done faster if the diver is in a hurry.

Finally, while its absolutely true that jackets are not uniformly bad, I can say that I've tried jackets, back inflate BC's and BP&W's. I strongly prefer the BP&W for all of my diving. The rig is streamlined. The tank doesn't tend to shift around and it is quite comfortable. The plate distributes the load of the tank(s) across your entire back, which, IMHO, results in less fatigue. Overall, I find it to be a great system.

I currently own three wings (18, 36 and 55) and two SS plates (one for singles, one for doubles). I've probably fit several dozen new divers with BP&W's. So far, none of them have come back, even though the shop where I assist has a 100 day return policy on gear.

Cheap (as in money) and Halcyon isn't syanamous.

Halcyon has whats called Fair Trade Pricing and ALL Halcyon dealers sell at that RETAIL rate - no discounts.

The only way around that is to buy USED Halcyon gear.

PS I won't buy a 27# wing personally. Maybe 36, but for me a 45 is more like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom