Cheap... eBay drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still haven't had a chance to test out the 100g in the ocean (going to this weekend, but I'll also be taking some extra layers and my dual layer polartech as a backup!), but I've noticed people vary greatly in how much insulation they need. Some is based on drysuit, I dive a compressed neoprene that offers more insulation by itself than a shell will, at least at moderate depths (at 100ft that insulation is lost and I notice the chill more).

I'll report back on how it goes next week. His warmest garments are the 4 way Antarctica ones.

I dove in water raging in mid 50's to 45* this weekend and the 250 double layer kept me warm. I do need to look into new gloves as my fingers were a little cold (3mm gloves)

I ended up having mine altered. I had the arms shortened and Velcro strips to open the ankles up for doffing. Now it is just about perfect.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

I still haven't had a chance to test out the 100g in the ocean (going to this weekend, but I'll also be taking some extra layers and my dual layer polartech as a backup!), but I've noticed people vary greatly in how much insulation they need. Some is based on drysuit, I dive a compressed neoprene that offers more insulation by itself than a shell will, at least at moderate depths (at 100ft that insulation is lost and I notice the chill more).

I'll report back on how it goes next week. His warmest garments are the 4 way Antarctica ones.

So I did several dives this weekend at the coast in the 100gm Thinsulate style. First dive was wearing an extremely thin polypro undershirt, and no thermal bottoms. Water temp was 46, and it wasn't too cold (drysuit is a 4mm compressed neo) but my hands did get a little cold after about 30 minutes, which for me is a sign I need a little more core warmth.

After that I dove it with microweight merino wool top and bottom, and was comfortable for dives up to an hour. Overall very impressed with the garment. My only complaints are that it tapers so much it's a little difficult to get feet in and out of, and the quilted material on the outside means it retains sweat more than my all fleece garments where it wicks all the way out.

So I did several dives this weekend at the coast in the 100gm Thinsulate style. First dive was wearing an extremely thin polypro undershirt, and no thermal bottoms. Water temp was 46, and it wasn't too cold (drysuit is a 4mm compressed neo) but my hands did get a little cold after about 30 minutes, which for me is a sign I need a little more core warmth.

After that I dove it with microweight merino wool top and bottom, and was comfortable for dives up to an hour. Overall very impressed with the garment. My only complaints are that it tapers so much it's a little difficult to get feet in and out of, and the quilted material on the outside means it retains sweat more than my all fleece garments where it wicks all the way out.

you could do like I did. Get the ankles Velcroed.

Sent from my DROID X2

Anyone here dove these and can compare them to the USIA Exotherm II undergarments? I have a set of those but I am looking to replace them with the either the 4-way Antarctica or 2 layers of 250G/sqm Polartec undergarments.

I was doing a dive in 41f degree water (runtime 50 minutes for first dive and 35 minutes for second dive) this weekend and was freezing. I consider myself pretty cold tolerant but the Exotherm II which are rated for 75-55f degrees aren't cutting it which I know is part of the problem.

Looking for something that would work well in mid 40s. I emailed the eBay seller to ask for his advice but figured I would check here.

Think I should go with 4-way Antarctica or 2 layers of Polartec?

It's going to be hard to say what works for you. Each of us is different in our tolerance. I took the 250g to 35* with no issues.

Sent from my DROID X2

If you want cheap but effective insulating layers for under your drysuit, go to a discount store in the spring when their sweaters are on sale, and buy a couple of acrylic sweaters. You should be able to find sweaters in the $10-$15 range. Acrylic is almost as good as polypro, capilene, and similar high-tech fabrics with respect to not absorbing water and drying off quickly. Get sweaters which fit fairly tightly so they will layer up nicely; don't get loose baggy sweaters. Get sweaters which are pretty thick and have a lot of loft, as they will provide better insulation.

For a base layer I use higher tech fabrics like capilene or polypro. Then I layer up as many layers of sweaters as I need to keep warm. If I'm going to spend 4-6 hours in water in the high 40's F while spearfishing, a thin polypro shirt, a medium polypro shirt, and three sweaters will keep me quite comfortable.

I buy thick pile pants and layer them up to keep my lower half warm.

I actually got mine into the water last night. (2 layer polartec) I also custom ordered mine, so the fit was great and the suit is a little strechy.

The dive started a little warmer that I wanted 68.5 deg F. It was a night dive so it was not hot out, maybe 65-70 deg, but it did feel good to get into the water. Once we hit 70 ft my computer was reading 55 F and a buddy said he had 52 F. I knew it was somewhat cold as I also need some better gloves :D I could feel the cold but I was not cold at all. I did notice the water warming up as we started back up. I did not get hot, but I was a little warm as I expected would happen with close to 70 F water.

I normally wear a Hollis Aug 100 and I think this was a tad bit warmer and less bulky. My hollis is also a stock size so it is snug in the shoulders and this was no problem at all. I wear some REI medium weight 100% polyester as a base layer that I bought during a sale.

I wish it would have gotten a little colder, but I am happy with it so far after 1 dive. I also did not add any weight and I was fine. I might get a lighter weight suit as well for the warmer water. I am not sure about going back to a wetsuit yet for warm water (~70F).

I thought I would wake this from the dead for the newbies to drysuit diving. Rondel is a good egg. He doesn't have much up BUT if you contact him he will see what he has. I'm not aware of a single person unhappy with his products. I have two myself. As well as bought one for a buddy (who is really happy with his).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom