Cheap Cozumel Timeshares??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found a website http://www.redweek.com that lists timeshares for rent. For example, they have a listing for Occidental Allegro for $56 a night.
http://www.redweek.com/resort/P332#rentals

This sounds to good to be true. I can't rent a motel room in Huntsville, AL (where I dive locally) for that price. Anyone had any experience renting timeshares?

Susan

redhatmama:
I found a website http://www.redweek.com that lists timeshares for rent. For example, they have a listing for Occidental Allegro for $56 a night.
http://www.redweek.com/resort/P332#rentals

This sounds to good to be true. I can't rent a motel room in Huntsville, AL (where I dive locally) for that price. Anyone had any experience renting timeshares?

Susan
There are good deals out there. Earlier this year we stayed at the Mayan Palace for $200 for 7 nights (South of Cancun). That was in a single room, 1 bath, 2 double beds, no kitchen room, but it was still very nice, and the Mayan Palace itself is beautiful. Some friends of ours (who are RCI owners) got a flyer in the mail about it and we all went over together. There was no prerequisite for going, and there was no required TimeShare Spiel. We actually got 5 rooms for the 12 of us all at the $200/room price.

Be careful though... some of the really good deals require you to sit through a 4 hour TS spiel.

Jerry

Cozumel is a tough place for me to find a deal. The airfare is $645 pp. I can find a package with cheap hotel for $881 and package with good hotel for $1050 to $1150. I would be better off getting a package with a cheap hotel than a cheap timeshare. I would probably want to go for the good hotel and take no chances.

Airfare to the Bahamas is $270 pp and the hotels there are pretty reasonable. Airfare to Belize is $687 (slightly higher than Cozumel). I can fly to Mexico City for $350 and to Thailand for $770.00 on Northwest. It makes no sense to me.

Everyone says Cozumel is a bargain, but I can't find one.

redhatmama:
Cozumel is a tough place for me to find a deal. The airfare is $645 pp. I can find a package with cheap hotel for $881 and package with good hotel for $1050 to $1150. I would be better off getting a package with a cheap hotel than a cheap timeshare. I would probably want to go for the good hotel and take no chances.

Airfare to the Bahamas is $270 pp and the hotels there are pretty reasonable. Airfare to Belize is $687 (slightly higher than Cozumel). I can fly to Mexico City for $350 and to Thailand for $770.00 on Northwest. It makes no sense to me.

Everyone says Cozumel is a bargain, but I can't find one.

It really depends on where you are trying to get to Cozumel from, and even then it makes no sense. A couple of years ago, I was quoted (Continental website) $1180 from Austin, TX RT to Cozumel. On the same website, the same date, the same damn plane from Houston to and from Cozumel, but on a ticket originating in Toronto, the fare was $602. Now, Toronto is one helluva lot farther from Houston than Austin; does that make sense?

End rant.

But anyway, the talk of how Cozumel is a bargain is correct, once you are there, though getting there at a bargain rate can be problematic. You can get there really cheaply from Dallas on Funjet. From Houston, too, although the flight times suck.

Cozumel has always been our cheapest Carribbean vacation. But as the previous post said, alot depends on where you are coming from. We fly out of Dallas with a package through Funjet - 8 days airfare and Iberostar AI lodging = approx $1000 pp. We've paid much more to go to other locations in the Carrib.

p.s. We've also stayed at Iberostar for a quick 5 days: airfare from Dallas + Iberostar AI = $602 each.

Back
Top Bottom