Cheap accomodations and snorkeling -Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, I was asked by a group of broke-a$$ college students to find cheap accomodations and snorkeling in the Key Largo vicinity. I suggested Key Largo Campground and Pennekamp.

What else is there?

not much else without them defining "cheap" -- <=$50/night? $100? and booking in the state parks -- they'd have to be tent camping and advance reservations are a must -- spots in the parks book quick. and of course have transportation... now of course too a $100/per night room with 4 people breaks down to $25/person/night sooo...

the only problem with tent camping is getting the tent and stuff here -- they are coming from NJ most likely from the OP info -- and it depends on if they are flying or driving down. if they are flying they'd have to check any camping gear + any scuba gear they are bringing.. adding up the price... and if they are flying -- car rental as well.

but i'm thinking about checking out the campground myself. at $60/night for the RV would be doable, especially if I can get a couple of other divers wanting to come for the weekend & go out with probably Rainbow. it's only about a 2 hr or so drive from my house. hmmm

iluvtheocean: I've camped in Bahia Honda, Long Key and Curry Hammock: all state parks and all pretty nice. Sometimes I'll dive in Marathon, but most of the time I just drive up to Islamorada or Key Largo in the AM. That early in the morning, it is a pleasant drive with little traffic and the sunsets coming back to the campgrounds are beautiful. I haven't stayed in Pennekamp, but if it is anything like the other three, it should be nice.

RescueDiver: staying in Florida City is one of the cheapest ways to go. If the students can sleep 3 or 4 to a room (should be possible with two double beds and a fold out couch) they can probably get by for a little over $33 per person per night, depending on the time of the year. It only takes 20 minutes or so to get to Key Largo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom